Since 1973, when the traditional front-engined 365 GTB/4 Daytona had been replaced by the mid-engined Berlinetta Boxer, Ferrari's top-of-the-line 12-cylinder 2-seater model had used a mid-mounted 180° V12 flat engine. The Berlinetta Boxer had later been developed into the Testarossa, whose last evolution was the 1994 F512 M. Under the presidency of Luca Cordero di Montezemolo, who took office in 1991, the F512 M replacement was developed as a traditional front-engined V12 grand tourer. After a 30 months of development, the Ferrari 550 Maranello was presented in July 1996 at the Nürburgring circuit in Germany. Pininfarina executed both the exterior and interior design. Frame and main engine components were shared with the 2+2 Ferrari 456, although at 2,500 mm the 550's wheelbase was 100 mm shorter. The car used a transaxle layout, with the 6-speed manual gearbox located at the back, in-line with the driven wheels. The model number refers to total engine displacement (5.5 litres) and the model name Maranello refers to the town where the Ferrari headquarters are located. The engine is a 5.5 litre V12 with 4 valves per cylinder with dual overhead cams and variable length intake manifol
The Maserati Mistral was a wonderful 2-seat gran turismo produced between the years of 1963 and 1970. It was the successor to the 3500 GT, the styling was done by Frua, while the car was bodied by Maggiora in Turin. Limited in its production the coupés saw a total number of 828 examples, while the elusive Spyder just had 125 examples made. The name of the car derives from the cold northerly wind of southern France, it was also the first in a series of classic Maseratis to be give the name of a wind. The Mistral is the last model from the Casa del Tridente (“House of the Trident”) to have the company's renowned twin-spark, double overhead cam straight six engine. Fitted to the Maserati 250F Grand Prix cars, it won 8 Grand Prix between 1954 and 1960 and one F1 World Championship in 1957, being driven by Juan Manuel Fangio. The engine featured hemispherical combustion chambers fed by a Lucas indirect fuel injection system, a new development for Italian car manufacturers. Maserati subsequently moved on to V8 engines for their later production cars to keep up with the demand for ever more powerful machines. Three engine were fitted to the Mistral, displacing 3500, 3700 and 4000 cc and d
The Ferrari 365 was Ferrari's large front-engine, rear-wheel-drive 2- and 2+2-seater grand tourer line. The 365 California was the first one in the line-up and replaced the 500 Superfast in 1966. Its 4.4 L V12 engine was based on the 330's 4.0 L Colombo unit, but with an increased bore of 81 mm. This resulted in an engine capable of producing around 316 HP at 6.600 RPM. Integrating the gearbox with the final drive gave these cars a nicely balanced 50:50 weight distribution. The 365 California used the same chassis as the 500 Superfast but with an evolutionary cabriolet body styled by Pininfarina. Debuting at the Geneva Motor Show in 1966, just 14 examples were produced (including 2 right hand drive), before production ended in 1967. Whilst the prototype was built on a 330 GT 2+2 type 571 chassis, production cars featured the type 598 chassis. Chassis' were sent to Pininfarina's Grugliasco plant to be bodied and trimmed which were later returned to Ferrari for fitment of the mechanical components. The most popular 365 model was 1968's 365 GT 2+2, replacing the 330 GT 2+2. Unlike the 330 GT 2+2 car it replaced, which had a live rear axle on leaf springs, the 365GT 2+2 had independent
In 1994 the Porsche 964 was replaced by the new line of 993's. The 993 offered not only big technical improvement, but also visually. It had much more flared wheelarches and a smoother front and rear bumper design, an enlarged retractable rear wing and teardrop mirrors. Originally the 993 was available in a coupe and cabriolet version. In 1995 the Carrera S, 4, 4S and Turbo followed. The following year saw the introduction of the Targa model. The 993 marked the end of an era for Porsche, since it was the last air cooled model they ever produced. The latest 911's, like the 993 and 964 are often referred to as the best and most desirable of the 911 series, because their performance is very good, even by modern standards, and the 993 was the last complete 'modern classic'. The 993 is elegance and muscle all in one package. The 993 was replaced by the Porsche 996. This represented a dramatic change for Porsche. As many enthusiasts agree, the 993 is one of the sweetest spots in the 911's half-century of existence. Great Porsche 993 Carrera 4 manual in black. 173.000 KM with full service history. Original service book. Delivered new to Porsche Stuttgart in Germany on 16-01-1995, C00 car.
The Ferrari 330 series consisted of a range of successful models, all powered by the famous V12 Colombo power plant, this time in a 4.0 L configuration. The engine was an evolution of the one in the 400 Superamerica, it was substantially changed, with wider bore spacing and an alternator replacing a generator. The first car in the series was the 2+2 330 America, which was a 250 GTE with a larger 4.0 litre engine. The name 330 refers to the approximate displacement of each cylinder, 12 times that resulting in around 4.0 L. The engine could produce around 300 HP at 6.600 RPM. About 50 cars were built before being replaced by the larger 330 GT 2+2. This replacement, the 330 GT 2+2, was first shown to the world at the Brussels Auto Show, early in 1964. It brought a lot the table and turned out to be much more than a re-engined 250, however, with a sharper nose and tail, quad headlights, and a wide grille. The wheelbase was 50 mm longer, but Koni adjustable shock absorbers improved its handling. A dual-circuit Dunlop braking system was used with discs all around, though it separated brakes front to back rather than diagonally as on most modern systems. In 1965 the Series II version was
The XK 120 was launched in 1948 and was an international sensation that finally put Jaguar on the world stage. The XK’s good results in both motor racing and international rallying were instrumental in beginning a long successful period for the company. The XK 150 was the final incarnation of the XK range, it was a more refined and capable machine than its predecessors. Easily distinguishable from the XK 140 by its wider grille, higher door line an improved interior space the XK 150 looked a lot more modern, fitting in with the trend of more streamlined cars. The walnut dashboards from earlier cars was replaced with leather in the XK 150. On the front parking lights, which were located atop the fenders, a little red light reminded the driver the lights were on. Most of the things that were optional for the XK 140 were now standard issue, this among other things meant break discs at the front and back. The new XK 150 retained the engine from the XK 140, a 3.4 litre straight-six. Suspension and chassis were very also similar to the XK 140, and steering was by rack and pinion. This car is a nice driver quality Jaguar XK150 Drophead Coupé with an uprated 4.2 litre engine with triple We
The Ferrari 328 GTB and GTS were the successor to the well-known Ferrari 308 GTB and GTS. While mechanically still based on the 308 GTB and GTS, small modifications were made to the body style and engine, most notably an increase in engine displacement to 3.2 L (3185 cc) for increased power and torque output. The 328 is considered to be one of the most reliable Ferraris, unlike some models, most engine maintenance can be performed without lowering the engine from the vehicle. The 328 GTS model, together with the fixed roof 328 GTB, were the final developments of the normally aspirated transverse V8 engine 2-seat series. The 328 figures in the model title refer to the total cubic capacity of the engine, 3.2 litres, and 8 for the number of cylinders. The new model was first introduced at the 1985 Frankfurt Salon alongside the Mondial 3.2 series. The main European market 328 GTS models had a tubular chassis. Disc brakes, with independent suspension via wishbones, coil springs, and hydraulic shock absorbers, were provided all round, with front and rear anti roll bars. There were various world market models, each having slight differences, with right and left hand drive available. The V
The XK120 was the first sports car Jaguar produced since the SS 100, which ceased production in 1940. The XK120 was first launched as a open two-seater in 1948, at the London Motor Show. It was intended to be a testbed and a show car for the new Jaguar XK engine. The display car was the first prototype, chassis number 660001. It looked almost identical to the production cars except that the straight outer pillars of its windscreen would be curved on the production version. The roadster caused a sensation, which persuaded Jaguar founder and design boss William Lyons to put it into full production. The first 242 cars produced wore wood-framed open two-seater bodies fitted with aluminium panels. In early 1950 production switched to the 51 kg heavier all-steel version. The cars owns its name to the fact that its topspeed was 120 mph, which made it the world’s fastest production car at the time of its launch. Ultimately the XK120 was available in two open versions, firstly the open two-seater (OTS), called the roadster in the US, then as a closed fixed head coupé (FHC) from 1951 and also as a drophead coupé (DHC) from 1953. A smaller-engined version with a 2-litre 4 cylinder engine, des