This very rare car was was clearly very expensive when it was new and if you look closely at the quality of design and construction as well as the trim and detailing you can see that nobody was going round the Talbot Lago works complaining that things should not be included because they were too expensive! It is powered by Lago's 120 bhp 2.7 litre four cylinder twin cam hemispherical combustion chamber engine which is mated to a Wilson preselector gearbox so it has got plenty of power and it has decent handling and brakes to match so it's ideally suited for comfortable long distance cruising. It has a comprehensive set of Jaeger instrumentation and some very period-looking controls all set in painted metal dashboard as you might expect from a French car of this period plus a sprung steering wheel which is a work of art in its own right! By the way I have a copy of an Automobile Magazine road test of this actual car which has more pictures as well as a brief history of its development - I can e-mail this to you if you are interested in learning more. This is a rare opportunity to buy into the Talbot Lago marque which should not be missed! '
This Very special Talbot Lago T26 was sold to it’s first owner a Mr Amiel in the Perpignan area in France in 1947, It was apparently supplied with no bodywork and in chassis and engine form for a bespoke bodywork to be supplied by the customer. The chassis is shortened and the car was supplied with extremely rare Racing parts such as a complete racing specification GS engine with aluminium head, special Weber DCO3 Carburetors, aluminium wide sump, special competition GS brakes with enormous aluminium drums, a GP specification gearbox and numerous other “works type” modifications. Mr Amiel owned the car until around 1970 when it was sold to a Mr Mette in south West France, We have a letter on file from the son of the second owner who was interviewed a few years back and states that he remembers the car quite clearly when his farther bought it, as a rough and rather ugly sports car that went very quickly indeed! (exactly as it is today) His farther used it a little but kept it mostly on display in a Museum in the south of France until it closed. The car was then taken back and used occasionally before selling to a dealer in the early 80’s. The car went through the hands of a few more dealers before ending up in Belgium with a gentleman who kept the car for many years, driving it and racing it in club level events including the Brussels Grand Prix and numerous other events. Now it is in the collection of a well-known Dutch enthusiast who competed successfully in the 2015 and 2016 Mille Miglia with the car. Only for sale now due to a change of plans. We don’t know much detail about it’s early (pre 1970) life other than the name of the owner, and that it was supplied with no bodywork. We have had the car inspected by well-known Talbot-Lago expert Tony Bianchi who states in another letter we have on file, that the chassis has been shortened extremely professionally and it actually took him more than an hour to find out where it was actually shortened, the work has been done in such a way as to suggest it could have been done at the factory. As the engine is the original one supplied by the factory and is of such a high specification with the full GS spec aluminium cylinder head and sump etc, and fitted with the original racing option of three Weber 45 DCO3 carburetors and large GS racing brakes, there seems a very likely possibility that the car was always intended for racing. We feel that the bodywork was probably re-made during the latter part of Amiel’s ownership as it is made poorly and of steel, we presume that the original racing body was damaged and that Amiel later had the body re-made by a local garage / handyman sometime before selling it. We cannot imagine that the mechanical work which is of such high standard was done by the same hands. Quick research has unfortunately not given us any answers. Some serious investigation and research hopefully would reveal the answers. Unfortunately we nor the current owner has the time for this. The car drives extremely well and is very fast with good handling and very good brakes as you can imagine from a car of this specification. Imagine how fast it would have been with its original aluminium bodywork! http://www.historic-competitionservices.eu/nl/talbot-lago-t26--amiel-
Year: 1938 Configuration: RHD
1939 Talbot-Lago T23 Major 4.0 Liter Cabriolet Coachwork by Carrosserie Talbot s/n 93615, Engine no. 23440 Black with Red Leather Talbot-Lago sits prominently among the greatest of all European prewar automotive marques. Their brilliance of design, engineering, and elegance converges on a history of challenge and determination, all of which is embodied in the sculptured legacy of their grand designs. Yet troubled as Talbot-Lago was throughout their storied past, nothing kept them from perfecting and achieving astonishing automobiles of the finest order. It is this fortitude and demand for perfection that brought the open coachwork 4 liter T23 to fruition. By 1933, Talbot had achieved racing success at Le Mans, Indianapolis, and the French Grand Prix. These successes however were having little impact on sales, and, had it not been for the timely arrival of the vibrant Italio-British engineer Anthony Lago in 1934, surely it would have been the last of Talbot. But fate had sent Lago to the rescue, and with him came engineer Walter Brecchia. The first of their projects was a Brecchia designed 3 Liter effort that was suitable but underpowered and, lacking proper platforms for coachwork,
Talbot was an automobile marque that existed from 1903 to 1992, with a hiatus from 1960 to 1978, under a number of different owners, latterly under Peugeot. Talbot participated in rallying, winning the 1981 World Rally Championship constructors' title, and in Formula One. Talbot was originally the British marque used to sell imported French Clément-Bayard cars. Founded in 1903, this business venture was financed by Charles Chetwynd-Talbot, 20th Earl of Shrewsbury and Adolphe Clément-Bayard. Starting in 1905, the company sold imported cars under the Clément-Talbot marque and began assembling French-made parts at a new factory located in Barlby Road, Ladbroke Grove, North Kensington, London, selling them under the name Talbot. Domestically-designed cars followed from 1906. By 1910, 50 to 60 cars a month were being made. A Talbot was the first car to cover 100 mph (160 km/h), in 1913. During World War I, the firm manufactured ambulances. French and British operations continued in separate, parallel production and marketing processes until 1919, when British-owned but Paris-based Darracq took over the company; Darracq-made Talbots were marketed as Talbot-Darracqs. The following year, D