In the late 1920s, the president of Studebaker, Albert Erskine wished to develop a new 8-cylinder flagship model that would not simply raise the marque’s standing in the market, but be nothing short of the finest automobile available on American roads. While the six-cylinder President model had been available since 1926, Erskine believed a prestigious 8-cylinder car would drive showroom traffic and give Studebaker a tool to use in motorsports competition. He charged his engineering team with the task of developing a new straight eight capable of standing with the best in the industry. Curiously, his chief engineer refused, insisting the current inline-six was more than sufficient for a top-of-the-line model. Understandably annoyed, Erskine promptly sacked his engineer and promoted Barney Roos, who relished in his new responsibilities. Roos designed a gem of an engine; a 313 cubic inch, 5-main bearing, L-head straight eight with gear driven cam and an impressive 100 horsepower output. The engine debuted in 1928 for the newly revamped President line. While smaller than the outgoing six, the new eight was notably smoother with superior refinement. For 1929, displacement increased to 337 cubic inches and power increased to 115 horsepower. Erskine strongly encouraged Studebaker’s involvement in motorsport, and with the new 8-cylinder President in the hands of the deeply talented Ab Jenkins, a number of speed records, endurance records and racing successes would follow; with some records holding for a full 35 years! Top results at the Indianapolis 500 and Pikes Peak Hillclimb would further cement the President’s reputation for performance and reliability. 1931 marked the arrival of the finest all the 8-cylinder Studebakers. Roos’ engine was further refined with and an industry-leading nine main-bearing crank, improved lubrication (including a replaceable oil filter), a crankshaft vibration damper, and improved breathing, with output raised to 122 horsepower. On track success continued, with a Studebaker-powered special taking a surprise pole-position at the 1931 Indianapolis 500. 1931 also saw the addition of the unmistakable “Ovaloid” headlamps which distinguished the President on the road, and with its V-shaped grille and heavily raked windscreen, and 130” wheelbase, the Studebaker President is no doubt a very special and imposing car. The President line would only be available through 1933, as Studebaker was plunged into a financial crisis, ultimately leading to the company going into receivership and Albert Erskine taking his own life. But his legacy lives on as the 1928-1933 President is the only Studebaker to achieve the coveted recognition as a CCCA Full Classic and remains one of the most prized models in the marque’s long history. This 1931 President 80-R Four-Seasons Roadster is a superb example of this rare, important and desirable Classic Era Studebaker. Wearing a very high-quality older restoration, this handsome roadster has received excellent care in the years since. Most recently, the car was treated to a cosmetic freshening by the highly regarded LaVine Restorations who retrimmed the interior, installed a new Haartz Stayfast top in black, restored and detailed the engine bay, and fabricated a new radiator. Since then, the car has been extremely well-preserved in excellent condition. The paint scheme is quite lovely, with the dove gray body accented with navy blue feature lines, fenders and wire wheels. Paint quality remains excellent thanks to light and careful use through the years. Body and panel fit are exemplary, in keeping with the quality of the restoration. Chrome fittings and accessories are all presented in very fine order. The distinctive V-shaped bumpers are excellent, as are the signature “Ovaloid” headlamps. Other accessories include dual trumpet horns, intricate radiator stone guard, a very rare and beautiful goddess mascot, fender-mounted marker lamps, and pedestal mirrors on the dual side-mount spare wheels. In the rear, the body features a golf-bag door, rumble seat, luggage rack and step pads for rear passengers. The car rides on blue-painted wire wheels with chrome trim rings, chrome center caps and whitewall tires giving it a delightfully sporting look. The light gray leather trim remains in outstanding condition, remaining supple and attractive and appearing to have seen very little use since being restored. Door panels, carpets, and soft trim are similarly in excellent order. The dash, which is finished in navy blue, features a plaque that proudly proclaims “Body Built by Studebaker” and another that simply declares it “The President”. Instruments are beautifully restored and mounted in a centrally mounted chrome panel as original. Beneath the hood lay Studebaker’s masterpiece; the nine main bearing, 337 cubic inch, inline eight, serial number P 9230. It is beautifully presented and very well detailed with excellent paint quality, correct fittings and tidy wiring and plumbing. The original oil filter housing remains in place, properly finished with a decal instructing users to replace every 12,000 miles. The engine runs beautifully, delivering its ample power with signature smoothness and finesse, making this President an outstanding driver’s car. This example’s CCCA Premier award-winning restoration remains in beautiful condition, ideally suited for CCCA CARavan touring, or for proud display in shows and concours. This President Four Seasons Roadster is a beautiful example from the high water mark for Studebaker in the Classic Era. The President remains one of the most important and desirable models in Studebaker history, and with just 54 President Four Seasons Roadsters known in Classic Car Club of America and Studebaker Club ranks, it is likely to be the only one at virtually any event.
It was no secret that in the early 1960s, Studebaker was up against the ropes. Their financial troubles had started years earlier and the failed merger with Packard had left them reeling. Selling economy cars was fine, but what they really needed was a stylish “halo” model to drive traffic into the showrooms. New company president Sherwood Egbert had the idea for a sporty “personal car” to compete against the likes of the Chevrolet Corvette and Ford Thunderbird, a car that could boost their rather staid and conservative product line. He doodled out his idea for a four-seat personal car while on a flight from South Bend to California. Upon meeting with his design team, led by Raymond Loewy, he charged them with the task of creating an image-booster for Studebaker and gave them a virtually impossible time line with which to do it in. After just 8 days of feverish work, Loewy and his team of designers (Tom Kellogg, John Ebstein and Bob Andrews) produced a two-sided clay model, one side featuring a four-seat design, the other a two seater. Company brass settled on the four-seater and the styling team went back to further hone their work. To power their new creation, named Avanti, engineers used the 289 cubic inch V8 and reinforced chassis from the Lark Daytona convertible. While not ground breaking, it was an affordable and reliable platform for Studebaker to work with. But the underpinnings played 2nd fiddle to what sat atop – the body by Loewy and his team was jaw dropping. Fiberglass construction allowed them to accurately reproduce the coke-bottle curves and fine detail as penned by the artists. The smooth, grille-less design was groundbreaking, the first to use a “bottom feeder” radiator and intake. It was clean, yet finely detailed and sophisticated. Egbert had ambitiously predicted Avanti sales of 10,000 units in the first year, but thanks to production issues and concerns from buyers about Studebaker’s health as a company, a fractional 1,200 were sold for the 1962 model year, with fewer than 4,600 units sold the following year. Studebaker ceased operations by 1963, yet in spite of the drama surrounding its gestation and ultimate demise, the Avanti remains a truly iconic automobile and a brilliant piece of American industrial design history. This exquisite 1963 Studebaker Avanti R1 comes to us from the hands of a noted Studebaker collector and enthusiast. He has owned several different Avantis over the years, and of all the cars he’s owned, this is most certainly the finest. It was comprehensively and expertly restored to the exact build-sheet specifications and presents in beautiful, fresh condition. An early production car, this Avanti (S/N R1259) was built on July 11th 1962 and delivered new to a dentist in Boise Idaho. After enjoying his Avanti for a few years, the car was sold to a Mr. Hutchison in Littleton, Colorado in 1967. Mr. Hutchison drove the car through 1977 at which time he replaced it with a new car, but kept the Avanti in storage until his passing in 2013. From there, the car found its way to its current owner, who upon assessing it as an original R1 specification car with an automatic transmission and factory air conditioning, determined it was very much worth restoring. He soon embarked on a comprehensive restoration that saw the car fully stripped down and restored to exacting specifications. It still appears very fresh, with exceptional PPG Avanti White paint. Particularly difficult with a fiberglass car, the body exhibits crisp feature lines, outstanding panel fit and beautiful, deep reflections in the surfaces. The razor’s edge bumpers are similarly presented, with concours quality plating and correct rubber protectors. NOS and original trim was painstakingly polished and fitted to ensure precise fit. It rides on original wheels with those fabulous signature Avanti convex wheel covers and correct tires. Like the body, the interior has been restored to exacting standards using some of the last remaining original bolts of fabric made by Uniroyal specifically for Studebaker. Likewise, the Hidem welting was sourced directly from the old Mishawaka, Indiana plant. As per the original build sheets, it is trimmed in Avanti Red and Fawn with correct door panels and “salt and pepper” carpets in correct material. The dash is finished in off white with fully restored instruments that appear factory fresh. Original A/C controls and console shifter are excellent and as they left the factory. The impeccable detailing continues under the hood with a beautifully presented 289 cubic inch V8 in normally aspirated R1 specification. Correct finishes and paints adorn the engine and accessories for a factory-fresh appearance. Incredibly, some of the original A/C hoses were found to be in excellent condition and still had factory markings. During the restoration, special attention was given to the cooling to ensure this Avanti runs cool and strong. The chassis was stripped, prepped and painted, while every removable frame component was stripped and powder coated. It is quite simply one of the finest, most meticulously restored Avantis we have encountered. It is so accurate in fact, that photos of this car are included in the latest update to the AOA Authenticity Manual. From the beautiful and crisp body to the expertly researched and detailed drivetrain, this is a show-worthy example that has been lavished upon by a dedicated enthusiast. For anyone seeking an example of the Raymond Loewy design icon to show and enjoy, this is certainly one of the best Avanti R1s available today.
Lowered price from €39.950 -> €37.500 The Studebaker Silver Hawk was produced between 1957 and 1959 . There were four versions, pillared Flight Hawk and Power Hawk, and hardtop Sky Hawk and Golden Hawk. The Silver Hawk model was not produced in 1956, the first year of the Hawks. The same basic car was produced for two more years (1960 and 1961) as simply the Studebaker Hawk, since from 1959 onward no other Hawk models were being sold. The Silver Hawk was the replacement for the two lower models in the four-model Hawk range in 1956, the Flight Hawk which carried the Champion 185 cu. in., six-cylinder 101 hp (75 kW) powerplant and the Power Hawk with the Commander's 259 in³ (4.2L) V8. Both of these models were two-door pillared coupes in the US market (based on the 1953 "Starlight" coupe body), and therefore, so was the Silver Hawk, which came in two differently-engined models with either the aforementioned Champion six or the 289 cu. in. (4.7L) President V8 engine (delivering 210 HP from the two-barrel, 225 HP from the four-barrel with dual exhaust). The Commander V8 was not offered in U.S. models; it was, however, the largest engine available in most overseas markets. In appearance
The Studebaker Golden Hawk was the top version of the Hawk series. Designed by Raymond Loewy and based on the earlier Champion and Commander models. The Golden Hawk received the powerful 352ci. Packard engine, producing 275 bhp, and it was one of the fastest American cars on the market in 1956. Many people consider the Golden Hawk as a precursor for the muscle cars, as it combined a big engine in a relatively light sportscoupé body. Two-tone paintwork and upholstery were available, and an automatic transmission and power steering were optional equipment as well. The example we are offering for sale is just back from its first Mille Miglia participation. It was one of the eyecatchers on the starting grid, as it is a huge impressive car with a nice V8 growl. The original colour combination of Tangerine and white (both in- and outside) doesn't make it a shrinking violet either... The car performed the 1000 miles faultlessly, and while many competitors were stranded on the hard shoulder, the big Studebaker continued its way to Brescia in utter comfort. The car was completely restored by an American Studebaker specialist, and was especially bought to participate in the Mille Miglia. It
Lowered price from €59.950 -> €45.000 Studebaker's star was going down when designer Raymond Loewy introduced the sensational Avanti. The Avanti was something else both in design as in construction.The lines of the car stood out because of its square shape. The body was completely constructed from fiberglass and the passengers were protected by an iron in case of a roll. Customers had the choice of two variants of the Studebaker V8 engine, the normally aspirated R1 and the R2 fitted with a Paxton Supercharger. The Avanti was the first American car to feature disc brakes all round. The success of the Avanti could not prevent Studebaker from going down and production ceased in 1965. The Avanti however did not go down with Studebaker as production was picked up by enthusiasts and a variant is still in production. Specifications Bodywork. Length/width/height/wheelbase – cm (in) : 488/178/137/276 (192.4/70.4/54/109); weight : 1428 kg (3148 lb). Engine. V8 4940 (301,5ci), 16 valves, 1 x 4 carb, manual 4-speed gearbox, rear-wheel drive. Maximum power : 360 bhp 4500 rpm. Top speed : 275 km/h (171 mph). >>>>> Oldtimerfarm specializes in consignment sales of vintage and collection cars and w
Lowered price from €13.500 -> €10.950 The Studebaker Champion is a mid-size which was produced (3 generations) in South Bend, Indiana, from the beginning of the 1939 model year until 1958. Third generation. In 1947, Studebaker completely redesigned the Champion and the Commander, making them the first new cars after WW II. The styling included new rear window, flat front fenders, as well as convenience features like back light illumination for gauges and automatic courtesy lights. The Champion made up 65.08% of the total sales for the automaker in 1947. The 169.9 cu in (2.8 L) I6 engine produced 80 hp (60 kW; 81 PS) in 1947. In 1950, output was increased to 85 hp (63 kW; 86 PS). Also, new styling (new grill, sheet metal, and rear end) was introduced, as well as an automatic transmission. One of the new styling features on the cars was the wraparound, "greenhouse" rear window that was on 2-door cars from 1947–1951, at first just an option, in 1950 it was given its own trim line, the Starlight coupe. The "spinner grill" was introduced in 1950, similar to that of a Ford DeLuxe, but was dropped again for the 1952 model year. Specifications >>>>> Oldtimerfarm specializes in consignment
This is an incredibly rare, right drive Studebaker Champion that has spent most of its life in South Africa, coming to the UK for the first time in 1989. The model is a very interesting design by Raymond Loewy who was famous for designing the original Coca Cola bottle. The car is styled with sculptured steel, was very innovative and dynamic for its day and featured flat floor entry (accommodate hat wearers), ladies peddles (easy to use with heels) and ultra light steering. Further interesting features included hill holding brakes, easy shift gears and rare flight style instruments with futuristic coloured display speedometer. We are told this is the only example known in Europe and is an ideal collector’s piece that can also be driven and used regularly with confidence. This very well presented car retains most of its original interior. We believe just the front seat base has ever been replaced and therefore shows the Studebaker has never led a hard life. The dashboard is fabulous, the upholstery has aged very well and the car is spacious and very comfortable. It is clear from the strong structure the car has been dry for most of its life. The underside is rock solid, the bodywork
(SOLD) Factory produced as an R2 supercharged car, this 1963 Avanti from the Verde Collection is one of a handful sold with the dealer-installed R3 package rated at 335 HP. Ron and Fran acquired this Studebaker from the estate of the original owner before fully restoring the car. The first American production car to feature power-assisted front disc brakes, it also offers a 3-speed automatic transmission, power windows, an attractive leather bucket seat interior and factory chrome wheel covers.