The Silver Wraith was the first post-war Rolls-Royce model and was made at the Crewe factory from 1946 to 1959. The first cars had a 127 inch (3226 mm) wheelbase chassis based on the one from the pre-war Wraith with coil sprung independent front suspension and semi-elliptic rear with a live axle. The engine was also based on the Wraith, but had a new cylinder head with overhead inlet valves and side exhaust valves and initially a capacity of 4257 cc. From 1951 this was increased to 4566 cc and in 1954 to 4887 cc on the long-wheelbase models. The braking system was a hybrid hydromechanical system with hydraulic front brakes and mechanical rears using the mechanical servo from the pre-war cars, patented by Hispano-Suiza and built by Rolls-Royce under licence. The long, 133 inch (3378 mm), wheelbase chassis was announced in 1951, and 639 were made until 1959. The last short-wheelbase cars were made in 1953. Initially only a four-speed manual gearbox was offered, but this was supplemented by a General Motors automatic option from 1952. This was the last Rolls-Royce model to be delivered in "chassis only" form, in order to receive a wide variety of bespoke coachwork designed and made by
left-hand-drive rolls-royce silver wraith 49 blue 4-speed manual 1949 rolls royce rwd luxury 4-seater 2wd
Oldtimerfarm Bvba, Steenweg op Deinze 51C
Aalter, B-9880, Flanders
In line with Rolls-Royce’s position at the top of the luxury car market,...
Apart from perhaps a Mercedes 600, you’ll struggle to find a car that’s ...