RM Sotheby’s Monaco sales topped €27.5m, with a Ferrari 340 America Barchetta selling for €7,280,000 and Porsche 911 GT1 making €2,772,000
RM’s Monaco auction runs alongside the historic GP every two years, and for 2016 saw total sales of €27.5m. The biggest seller of the day was the 1951 Ferrari 340 America, which achieved €7,280,000, with six other cars topping the €1m mark.
The second most expensive car of the auction was, perhaps unsurprisingly, the road-legal Porsche 911 GT1 ‘Evolution’. The only known road-registered example, and one of just 14 GT1 race cars in private hands, this extreme Porsche even has extensive competition history. €2,772,000 was the price paid for this unique piece of history.
RM also hosted a smaller dedicated sale for the Italian Quattroroute Collection, which on its own attracted a number of strong bids. The most expensive car of this auction was the 1939 Bugatti Type 57 Cabriolet, which exceeded estimate at €660,800.
known as one of the first ‘big engine’ competition Ferraris, the 340 America Barchetta boasted an exceptional competition pedigree: it was raced in the 1951 and 1952 Le Mans 24 Hours and entered in nine Mille Miglia road rallies from 1984 to 2006.
Peter Wallman, Managing Director of RM Europe says: ‘By any standards, we have enjoyed a successful sale this weekend with in excess of €27.5 million sold. The Ferrari 340 America was the most expensive car sold in Monaco this weekend and a number of model specific records have also been achieved. We remain broadly positive about the continued growth in certain areas of the market and are looking forward to a summer of strong sales.’
RM Sotheby’s Monaco 2016: Top 10 sales
1. 1951 Ferrari 340 America Barchetta - €7,280,000
2. 1997 Porsche 911 GT1 Evolution - €2,772,000
3. 1966 Ferrari 275 GTS - €1,792,000
4. 1948 Tucker 48 - €1,344,000
5. 1955 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Gullwing - €1,232,000
6. 1952 Ferrari 212 Inter Cabriolet - €1,176,000
7. 1988 Porsche 959 'Komfort' Stage II - €896,000
8. 1995 Lamborghini Diablo SE30 Jota - €672,000
9. 1939 Bugatti Type 57 Cabriolet - €660,800
10. 1973 Porsche 911 Carrera RS 2.7 Touring - €610,400
All images: Rémi Dargegen/RM Sotheby's