The MG VA made its first appearance at the 1936 London Motor Show. The VA was the second car to be introduced since the company had been acquired by Morris Motors, and it was placed at the entry-level of the MG saloon lineup below the SA and WA. The attractive sports saloon was soon joined by a two-door, four passenger open tourer and a Tickford-bodied dropead coupe. The VA (also known as the 1 ½-Liter) shared its 1,548cc overhead valve engine with Morris and Wolseley. But MG founder Cecil Kimber still had a role to play in his former company, and the engine was tuned to his specification to suit the sporting nature of the MG Octagon badge. Twin side draught S.U. carburetors helped push the little engine to 58 horsepower, which gave spirited performance to live up to the MG image. Motor magazine tested a VA Tourer in period to a top speed of 76 mph, and went on to claim 82mph was possible with the windscreen folded – an action best reserved for the brave or foolhardy. To aid performance and driving enjoyment, synchromesh was fitted on the top two gears. By the time production ended in 1939, 2,407 VAs of all styles were produced, of which only 564 were open four-place tourers, makin
left-hand-drive 1937 mg va tourer black 2-door leather restored
2310 Chaffee Drive
Saint Louis, MO 63146, Missouri
The MG ZS arrived in 2001 during a particularly turbulent time in MG’s h...
Introduced in 2001, the MG ZT was based on the more sedate and comfort-o...