With its roots going back before World War II, the 170 (W136) was the car that helped Mercedes-Benz return to regular production and aid in the company’s recovery after the devastation it suffered at the hands of allied bombers. As its name implies, the 170 utilized a 1.7 liter (1697cc), side valve four cylinder engine. The initial production run was actually before the war from 1936-1939. Following the hostilities, and with no ability to design and re-tool a new car, the 170 resumed production. Postwar examples were built between 1947 and 1953 resulting in about 155,000 total units during both production runs. Initially the 170 was a mid-range and modestly equipped car that made up the bulk of passenger car production. The chassis was also used as a basis for small trucks, ambulances and taxi cabs. But soon there was sufficient demand for a more upmarket version and the 170S was born for the 1949 model year. The S was very slightly larger than the standard 170, featured a leather interior and a full length folding canvas roof panel. For 1950, the engine was upgraded to 1,767cc and mated to an all-synchromesh 4-speed manual transmission. Suspension was also upgraded to telescopic d
left-hand-drive 1950 mercedes benz 170 s saloon black 4-speed leather manual restored sunroof german petrol
2310 Chaffee Drive
Saint Louis, MO 63146, Missouri
The best AMG Mercs are ever so slightly bonkers. For the first SLK55 the...
Silverstone Auctions is readying its lineup of cars for its next auction...