Le Mans cars are stunning pieces of engineering, but it's often the styling and liveries that we remember the best. Can you identify these ten?
From its earliest days, the Le Mans 24 Hour race has been responsible for some of the greatest racing cars of all time. The Jaguar D-type, Ford GT40 and various Ferraris all owe something to this great race, which today stands as the oldest active endurance race.
Running since 1923 close to the French town of Le Mans, this event has always demanded the absolute best from cars drivers and all team members. Winning not only requires raw speed, but also endurance, the ability to look after a car and perfect strategy. In more recent years the almost unbelievable reliability of top-level teams, the racing has become closer and more exciting each year.
For this week’s quiz, we have selected a number of successful, interesting and notorious Le Mans entries from the last 40 years. This includes a few from the monstrous ‘250mph down the Mulsanne straight’ Group C era, some from the days where GT1 regulations required road-going versions of the racing cars to be sold to the public. We also have some from the modern era, which has seen the introduction of hybrid powertrains and diesel power. All are exceptional machines, which continue to lap the 8.46-mile Circuit de la Sarthe at record pace each year.
Can you match up the picture to the correct name? Don’t forget to up your scores in the comments, and share via Facebook
to see how your friends compare!
SEE RELATED: Ferrari wheel quiz: Can you name them all?
Want more quizzes?
• Dial Quiz – Can you identify these cars from their gauges?
• Stripe quiz: Can you name these special editions cars?
• French car quiz – How many can you name?
• Engine bay quiz 1: How many can you name?
• Classic wheel quiz 1: Can you name these cars?
• Classic wheel quiz 2: How many can you name?
• QUIZ: Can you identify these Fast Fords from one tiny detail?
• Special edition cars: can you name them all?
• QUIZ: Can you name these 1990s performance cars?
• QUIZ: Can you identify the car from its rear lights?