In 1925, Lagonda decided to steer the company on a slightly different route. Lagonda was known for very nimble and light cars but decided to start heading to more luxurious and sporting models. The Lagonda 14/60 was introduced in 1925 and it was the first model of Lagonda where the gearbox wasn’t bolted to the engine. That inline four cylinder engine, 2 Litres in total, was designed by Arthur Davidson. The engine included hemispherical combustion chambers, a double camshafts and would give you a respectable 60BHP. In 1927, the model was dropped after the 2Litre Speed model was introduced and proved to be more powerful and faster. In the meantime, in 1926, Arthur was asked to design a 6-cylinder engine for the new Lagonda 16/65. The engine was the first 6-cylinder Lagonda engine and started life as a 2.692cc engine. Later, it was enlarged multiple times to create the 3l Lagonda and after it was bored to 3.619cc, the 3.5litre Lagonda engine was born. This 3.619cc engine was available with the ‘short chassis’ (10’ 3” wheelbase) or longer chassis and was introduced as the M35 model in 1934. On the short chassis, The M35R or Rapide was well capable doing 90MPH with the Tourer coachwork. Not only did the car go very well, the braking power of the larger drum brakes could stop the car very quickly, even compared to modern standards. Only in 1935, production stopped and Lagonda went for the Meadows 4.5L unit to fit in the new M45 models. Numbers vary between 65 and 81 cars produced but certainly not many 3.5Litres rolled out of the factory. ‘The Motor’ tested the car in January 1935 and their opinion was very clear: ‘it would be difficult to select a more appropriate vehicle for fast and lengthy journeys’. The car we can offer is one with those rare specifications. It is a M35 on the shorter Rapide chassis and with its original and quite rare T9 Tourer body. Only registered on the 19th of August 1934, the car was the 2nd or 3rd car built. Chassis N° Z11162 and Engine N° 3180 prove this car is still matching numbers. Along with the original Lagonda Z-type gearbox, the car is very very original. Dennis Stratton was recorded as owner in 1957 who sold the car to Johnny White in 1962. Mr. White kept de car in his ownership for many many years until he past away and the car was inherited by is Stepson. He sold the car in 2009 to the current owner who slowly restored the car to what it is today, a wonderful drivers car with all the mechanics and bodywork restored. Johnny White was an ex employee of the old Lagonda Company who then owned a Lagonda Dealership in Bourne End from the 1930’s. This car was the last of several Lagonda’s that he owned over the years and we know that it was used in the film Doctor in the House in 1954. The car was partly restored by Peter Whenman before the current owner bought it and during his ownership, it had a rewire, a full bodywork restoration including woodwork, new fueltank, new wheel bearings, leaf springs refurbished, rear axle refurbished with the longer ratio from the M45, a complete restored gearbox with all new gears and a complete engine rebuilt tuning it with the new exhaust to 160BHP. Everything works perfectly and it is ready for many rallies to come! The sweeping lines of the T9 Tourer body makes this car a wolf in sheep’s clothing. Quite fast without losing the elegance. Please come buy to test the car, you will be very impressed!
In 1935, Lagonda had its back against the wall. With all of the press and prestige that came with the M45’s surprise victory at the LeMans 24 hour race, not enough buyers were stepping up and the firm was facing receivership. Management had brought in 29 year old Alan P. Good, a financial wizard who amassed enough investors to save the firm. Good, along with recent arrival W.O. Bentley were motivated to build the finest cars in the world. Bentley had recently lost control of his own firm to Rolls-Royce, and was given a menial title and treated as a glorified test driver, so he was eager to utilize his engineering skills and attempt to humble the bosses at Rolls-Royce. He set to work at Lagonda designing an all-new and highly advanced V12 engine that would go head-to-head with the new Rolls-Royce Phantom III. The Lagonda V12 was a marvel of technical sophistication – powerful and turbine smooth, yet also notoriously complex and expensive. It is said that even an experienced Lagonda engineer required a full 18 hours to dismantle the V12, and that’s with all the special tools at hand. Alongside the new V12, Lagonda continued to refine their Meadows-supplied 4.5 liter inline six that had been in service since 1933, powering the M45 and LG45 as well Invicta’s 4.5 and others. Given the complexity and development time required of the twelve, it was wise to offer the Meadows six alongside as an alternative power plant. While it may seem like “half the engine” of its V12 counterpart, the six was surprisingly similar in many ways – 4479 cc for the V12 and 4453 cc for the six – with output equally similar, the twelve making 160 horsepower to the six’s 140. Many of the improvements for the Sanction 4 Meadows engine were courtesy of Harry Weslake – the great engineer who would design numerous Grand Prix and sports car race-winning engines. The uprated Meadows engine was soon mated with the advanced chassis of the V12 model to form a sporting car that would be considered Lagonda’s ultimate six-cylinder model: The LG6 Rapide. We are honored to offer chassis number 12358 – one of just six LG6 Rapide Dropheads built. This magnificent automobile features four-place drophead coupe coachwork, designed in-house by the great Frank Feeley. According to the accompanying original registration logbook, it was first registered “DFG 800” on June 14, 1939 to Lieutenant-Colonel Michael Lindsay. Lt. Col. Lindsay would own this car until 1953 and it is said that he drove the car as its name implies, and that he thoroughly enjoyed every moment of it. This LG6 would have been one of the fastest cars of its day, and Lindsay would recall many years later that he was only passed once in 14 years behind the wheel of DFG 800! The LG6 would pass to Mr. Patrick Alexander R. Lindsay from 1953-1960, then to James Dutton Knight of Rolled Steel Products from 1960-1964. It then found a long-term owner in Michael Edward Malone who cared for the Rapide from 1964-1984. In 1984, 12358 was acquired by noted Lagonda collector, enthusiast and marque expert Bernd Holthusen of Germany. It was upon his acquisition of the car in 1984 that he spoke with then-General Michael Lindsay who recounted tales of his high-speed adventures and how much he enjoyed his time with this very special car. In the 1990s, Holthusen determined the car was due for restoration. He felt it was so attractive in its apple gray over green hides and hood that it was decided the car should stay in the original colors. In 1999, the Meadows six was meticulously rebuilt and carefully upgraded using techniques learned on similar cars in Mr. Holthusen’s impressive collection. Improvements include a replacement, strengthened cylinder block, balanced rotating assembly, hardened valve seats for sustained high-speed runs on unleaded petrol, a water pump with modern ceramic bearings and seals, and the axles have been updated to use modern-type lip seals. Mr. Holthusen used the Lagonda extensively during his tenure, touring around Europe and enjoying the car to the fullest. It was also featured in his foremost book on the marque titled “Lagonda” which was published in 1996. Mr. Holthusen parted with his impeccably restored LG6 Rapide in 2002, and it eventually found its way to yet another respected collection of cars from this storied make. The current American owner continued to thoroughly enjoy DFG 800 on numerous tours, rallies and concours, including the Colorado Grand in 2017. Today, this magnificent automobile presents in excellent condition, its outstanding restoration having taken on light and pleasing character thanks to regular use on road events. The sumptuous Frank Feeley-penned coachwork features flowing curves punctuated with a subtle chrome sweep on the body and brilliantly judged cutaway wheel spats. Ace wheel discs and big P100 headlamps add to the sporting appeal. The paintwork has held up remarkably well since the restoration, showing only a few minor marks from use, but remaining glossy, straight and handsome. Original literature touts this as a four passenger car (three up front, one in back) however it would be best enjoyed with two or three as the side-facing dicky seat is suitable for short trips. The dark green leather has a handsome patina from regular use, lightly creased, inviting and perfectly broken in. Lagonda-badged instruments are as-original, and this car features a fabulous period correct Phillips radio. The tool kit is neatly hidden behind a drop-down panel, and a set of period appropriate suitcases fit behind the front seat, given the boot is all but consumed by the spare wheel. This car now wears engine number 12227 which, according to the Lagonda Club, was fitted in approximately 1968. Originally rated for 140 horsepower, the improvements made during the rebuild have likely released a few extra ponies, and as expected, the LG6 runs phenomenally well. The engine features original twin Scintilla Vertex magnetos, and dual S.U. carburetors and is properly presented and detailed, showing extremely well for a car that has been proven on numerous events. The original four-speed gearbox has the top three ratios synchronized which mates to a 3.31 rear axle to allow for effortless high-speed cruising. The chassis has been maintained to a high standard, and the handling and road manners remain impeccable. The sale will include the original owner’s handbook, tools, period luggage, original registration booklet, and Meadow’s instruction manual. As one of just six dropheads built on the LG6 chassis, this fabulous automobile has led a charmed life at the hands of passionate, enthusiastic owners. From the day it was delivered, DFG 800 has been enjoyed to the fullest. Its most recent keeper has ensured it remains on the button and ready for action on tours, rallies and club events, while also kept beautiful enough for concours display. This is an exceptional opportunity to acquire one of the finest prepared examples of this legendary pre-war Grand Touring car.
Variant: Replica Tourer COMING SOON This stunning car we are currently offering here started its life as an M45R Rapide with a standard body produced by coachbuilders E D Abbott Limited of Farnham, Surrey, which in 1934 had received a major contract from Lagonda to provide ‘factory’ bodywork. After WW2, the car was returned to the Abbott company (which closed in 1972) to receive its current ‘Le Mans replica’ bodywork, which was a costly but highly effective transformation for sporting use. The car resided in the famous collection of Abraham Kogan until the end of the 1990s, and was subsequently sold to the USA from which it returned to Europe in 2004. This Lagonda M45R is an exciting ready-to-go, very well sorted out driver with astonishing power and equally capable handling. Supporting documentation includes US Certificate of Title and FIVA Identity Card. CEE taxes have been paid and Uk registered. • Charismatic marque • One of only 53 made • Eligible for a wide variety of prestigious events
A SUPERB EVENT/RALLY ENTRANT Brand Lagonda Type LG 45 Color Grey Interior Black Year of build 1937 Price More information will be online soon 1937 LAGONDA LG45 TOURER The car is just arrived and more information will be online, in the meantime if you would like more information please do not hesitate to contact us. MORE INFORMATION For more information or an appointment, please call Rutger Houtkamp+31625098150 or send an e-mail to Rutger@Houtkamp.nl . Please do not hesitate to contact us by phone during evenings or in the weekend. The Houtkamp Collection is centrally located near Amsterdam and only 10 minutes from Amsterdam Schiphol Airport. Please contact us directly or fill in the form to receive more information on this specific car Your Name (required) Your Email (required) Your phone number Subject Your Message The information provided on this website has been compiled by The Houtkamp Collection with the utmost care. The information contained within this advert is provided ‘as-is’, without warranties as to its accuracy whether expressed or implied and is intended for informational purposes only. The Houtkamp Collection is not liable for any errors or mistakes.
Lagonda LG45 Team Car When Fox and Nicholl prepared three M45’s as Team Cars for the 1934 RAC Tourist Trophy at Ards, they did a rather nice job. So good, Fox convinced the board of Directors of Lagonda to enter two M45 team cars in the 24 hours of Le Mans. Luckily, all was ok despite financial disturbances and 24hours later, one of them won the 24 hours of le mans in 1935, bringing fame and glory to not only Fox and Nichol but certainly to Lagonda. Shortly after, Lagonda was in big financial trouble and a new investor was needed urgently. Alan Good managed to buy the company and just outbid Rolls Royce. Rolls Royce, who recently purchased Bentley Motors, wasn’t very impressed. They were even less impressed by the fact that Alan managed to seduced W.O. Bentley to work for Lagonda. Bentley was given more freedom again and was given room to let him do what he does best, developing cars and engines. Alan Good decided to take all of the existing Lagonda models off the market in favour of bringing a renewed model on the market, the LG45 Lagonda. LG or ‘Lagonda Good’ motors, as it was called after the takeover, started from the M45 team car engine and developed it to give more horsepower and an even smoother ride. The 6cylinder inline 4467cc meadows engine was upgraded in 4 ‘sanctions’ or batches, 1,2 and 3 for the LG45 and the forth designated for a new model, the Lagonda LG6. The LG45 had a revised chassis of the M45 but with softer springing and Girling brakes. The body shapes became more simple and more luxurious. It is not a secret that a lot of those fine automobiles survived time in very nice condition due to this quality. LG45’s had different innovative options like built-in hydraulic jacks on 4 wheels like many DTM racers have now. Double batteries and fuel pumps for reliability were also standard equipment. Even metallic paints could be ordered from the factory, a built-in radio was another ‘gadget’ that was available. Not only the option list was extensive, also the range of body styles to choose from was not kept minimal. Top of the bill was the LG45 Rapide and the LG45 Team Car, you also had the gorgeous LG45 Drophead Coupe, the LG45 Tourer and the wonderful LG45 Saloon. Fox & Nicholl built four special LG45s Team Cars to carry on the good work of the previous year, two 2 seaters and two 4 seaters. However, Le Mans was not run in 1936 and the 2 seaters ran in the French G P instead (for sports cars that year). ‘Our’ car is an homage to this wonderful LG45 Team Car. It is an extremely close copy of one of the four seater team cars into the finest details. The engine has been upgraded to 180BHP and will put its power down via the full synchronised Alvis gearbox. The spare wheel has been moved to the side of the car, which allows you to have more than enough luggage space in the booth and the ‘back seat’. Together with double fuel pumps, original double bronze housed carburettors electrical fan and big glass windscreen, the car is capable to do any rally. Are you hesitating to do the flying Scotsman, the Terra di Canossa or other international rallies, this is the car for you. Only 150 LG45s of all types survived out of a production of 278 (and none of the two ‘ seater team cars) so be quick, it is a very rare car. Especially in this condition and this level of attention to details. http://www.historic-competitionservices.eu/nl/lagonda-lg45-team-car
Registration No: EP 97 Chassis No: 12203/R Engine No: LG45/370R/S3 In 1933 Lagonda announced a new 4½ litre model fitted with an engine built by the Meadows company. This was a robust unit, well tried and used by Invicta in their range of cars and Vickers in tanks. The first Lagonda Tourers were high quality cars and in direct competition with the new Bentleys built by Rolls-Royce. The Lagonda was priced at £ 795 for the complete car. The Bentley chassis alone cost £ 1,100 and even the cheapest Vanden Plas Tourer body would be another £ 240 on top! With its stylish appearance the Lagonda M45 Tourer was the fashionable car to own in 1934 and even Sir Malcolm Campbell had one, pale blue naturally. However these were difficult times for the company and high stock levels and poor sales of smaller cars in the range resulted in Lagonda going into receivership in June 1935. The very same month a 4½ litre Lagonda won the Le Mans 24 hour race. In those days success in motor racing sold cars and with better timing this could have put the business back on its feet but it was all too late. However the company was sold to a consortium led by Alan Good, with Dick Watney as Managing Director and
Registration Number: HPB 438 Chassis No: 14068 Engine No: 14068 There is a romantic fairy tale aura to the Lagonda marque that you couldn’t make up. This quintessentially British company was actually founded by an American who named it after the Shawnee Indian name for the town he grew up in. Wilbur Gunn had a career as an opera singer and sewing machine manufacturer before turning his hand to motorcycles and cars. His business continued after his death but was struggling in the early Thirties. The same month that the company failed a Lagonda won the enormously important 24 Hour race at Le Mans, at that time success on the race track quickly translated into sales in the showrooms. A new and refinanced Lagonda company was formed in 1935 with no lesser figure than W.O. Bentley as Technical Director. He had just been released from his contract with Rolls-Royce where he had not been allowed to design anything but had looked on as they designed and built a V12 engine for their Phantom III. Accordingly it is no surprise that Bentley should want to produce a V12 of his own, better and more powerful than the efforts of the mighty Rolls-Royce. The Lagonda V12 was announced at the 1936 Motor