1934 BENTLEY 3.5L DERBY THRUPP MABERLY SPORTS SALOON This very early and still original Derby Bentley started life exactly as you see it today, a 3,5 litre Sports saloon. Bought in may 1934 by “the mysterious” Dr. A.H. Richardson who was a true Bentley afficionado. Thrupp & Maberly were ordered by the London based dealer Jack Barclay to do the bodywork and this is the 3rd one made. Just one chassis number later than the Thrupp & Maberly which is still owned by Bentley Motors. The rakish, low windscreen and lovely lines mark this beautiful designed Derby Bentley as one of the best. In the twenties and thirties the Bentley name was synonimous and famous for the victories at le Mans and the speedrecords at Brooklands.. Although the Derby Bentley was more a sports saloon car, the owners drove and rallyed them all over the world because of their sporty character. One such Thrupp & Maberly Bentley 3 1/2 competed on the rallye de Monte Carlo and the Scottish Automobile Club rally. As a tribute to these rallies the present owner drove them both in 2015 and 2016 all the way from the Netherlands to John O Groats in Scotland and all the way down to Monte Carlo and back home again. Which proved the car to be faultless (we won't mention the replacement of one fuse) and a great pleasure to drive with its comfort and large sliding roof Imported in the 70’s into the Netherlands, other than the aforementioned rallies the car has been hardly used and it even seemes that the current 45.000 miles on the clock could be correct. A lot of work has been done to make it reliable for the miles to come. This car is categorized an A2 status by the FIVA Identity Card commission, which tells all about her proven matching numbers original state. A Halda tripmaster is mounted for historic rallying and please notice that this car is eligable for many famous rallies around the world included the Mille Miglia. A lot of value for such an original car http://www.historic-competitionservices.eu/nl/1934-bentley-3-5l-derby-thrupp-maberly-sports-saloon
Short History. Chassis 1118 Original Registration number PH 3870 (still registered as such today) According to Denis Jenkinson’s book ‘Frazer Nash: from Chain Drive to Turbocharger’, chassis no. 1118 was released from the Works in May 1927 as an Anzani-powered Boulogne. The car was supplied by AFN to first owner Robert Lawrence ‘Bobby’ Bowes, racer and aviator, later Lancaster pilot and 144’ Rhodesia ‘ Squadron Leader. A quote from the Frazer Nash Club historian, Robin Hildyard states that ‘apart from the side rails’ which were heavily drilled and lightened, and would never have stood continued use, Car #1118 is believed to be made from what remains of Capt. Clive Gallop’s 1925 Boulogne Grand Prix winning car Ch#1048 after it was retired from racing. It was a well-known practice of the Works to use whatever parts they had at hand when they needed selling a new car in a hurry or preparing a particular car for racing. Bowes was more or less a Works-driver, so it is quite possible that he had the ‘privilege’ of receiving a two year old racing car made into a brand new “customer” car. The car is reported as a 1929 Ards Tourist Trophy Works entry, crewed by Bowes and Plunket-Greene: it was a DNF due to overheating. The Meadows engine is believed to have been transplanted at the time. The mounting holes for the Anzani are clearly visible on the chassis. Also, the radiator surround is of a very early cast-aluminum type and very rarely found on other than the works cars. Plunket-Greene was the son of a famous Irish baritone and married G.B. Shaw’s daughter. Their son Alexander married Mary Quant, so an interesting conversation piece. The car was re-bodied by the factory in 1928 as a very pretty special light weight saloon , one of the only three FN saloons known (one built on a new chassis ‘Owlet’, and the remaining two converted on existing cars). David Thirlby has detailed these facts in his book on the Marque. 1118 suffered body damage during WW2: it was partly damaged in a bombing while in a shed at the airfield. The roof of the shed fell on the car and its saloon body was subsequently scrapped. The car was dismantled for reparation but this did not happen until well after the war had finished. A very well-known car with the Club and fully recognized by it, 1118 was extensively raced with great success by Bill Roberts, for many years Captain of the Frazer Nash Car Club. The car was then raced by Steve Stanton, again with great success and it was used for Raids, notably the 1998 Raid to Bolzano of the FNCC, where it performed faultlessly. The car was bought in 2003 by its current owner: the engine was completely rebuilt by Steve Stanton at Stanton Motorsports and everything else overhauled. All the original parts are there. The engine was refreshed by Steve in 2014 after a few hillclimbs and other events in Europe, in particular the 2010 Alpenfahrt and Vernasca 2011 and 2012: the car has been maintained regardless of cost and it is in top condition with marvellous patina. It is portrayed in this year Frazer Nash Car Club Calendar. It comes with FIVA-passport and VSCC-Buff form. Specification. Early Meadows engine, 94 BHP, twin 1 ½” SUs, distributor conversion, electric fuel pump. Now tuned for torque, more BHPs are to be found if required for circuit racing although you would need to be a bit crazy to want more power than this in such a light car. New oil pump and water pump fitted. Oil catch tank. Alu rad-blind for cold weather use. Original bevel box with dipstick modification, 1.5” rear axle, short 4th gear now fitted for hillclimbing, cruising 4th gear included in the spares package. Blakeney Motorsport rear axle strengthening brace now fitted, so the axle has now three instead of only two bearings. New rear hubs and bearings. Reverse lock. New clutch, Borg&Beck type. Original steering box. Rod brakes (extremely powerful). Hartford shockabsorbers just renewed. Springs cleaned , re-set and re-fitted. All suspension parts inspected and renewed where necessary. Spare Parts - Six tyres, Dunlop and Blockleys: assorted tubes - 3 standard rims - original plywood floorboards: New aluminium ones were made for racing but someone may prefer the look of wood on a 1927 car - several lengths of chain, old and new : when changing a chain, new and old chain must be mixed to avoid excessive stretching - special chain-grease (chains must be boiled in molten grease every year) - Touring - tonneau cover with big pocket for spare wheel - original and very big fuel tank - original Lucas h/lamps, stays and fittings - original Lucas front side lamps - original number plates - 4th gear split-sprocket, high ratio! - assorted small bits and bobs, including 'wrong' bellmouth intakes for the SUs Competition cycle wings now fitted, original swept wings included in the sale with fittings. Small safety tank (30lt) and original tank with fittings included in the spares package. Aluminium under tray with Quick release Small headlamps fitted, original Lucas brass lamps with fittings and wire harness included in the spares package. All original instruments and working, rev counter cable recently replaced : original red leatherette seats , squabs just re-stuffed. Original tonneau-cover + Raid-tonneau cover with large zipped additional pocket. Race – approved rear red lamp. Kill switch and fire extinguisher. http://www.historic-competitionservices.eu/nl/1927-frazer-nash-boulogne
The 12/55 hp / 300 model is known as a Landmark in the history of Mercedes as it was the first passenger car model of the newly formed Daimler-Benz Company to be marketed under the Mercedes-Benz brand name. The spacious, well-appointed body made the Pullman 12/55 hp the ideal family tourer for those that could afford it. Many satisfied customers reported, it was a great car for travelling through the Alps! This Type 300 is one of the first made with the M7456 engine. It is an open touring car with Sindelfingen body and a very rare limousine top (comparable to a modern hardtop but the difference lies in the windshield installation). The car has enough space for 6 people and for luggage storage, there is even a separate add-on case and a luggage rack. With the car also comes the fabric foldable roof, if you want to take the black top section completely off and install the foldable roof. This will give you the flexibility to drive this Mercedes as a saloon in Winter or a very nice Open tourer in the Summer. This Type 300 was first bought by ‘Pflugbräu’ in Rottweil and later found its way into the far north of Germany where a dealer from Kiel discovered the car in the coach house of the brewery. In the last war and postwar years we know that car has been converted to wood gas and equipped with a trailer, this for keeping up with its heavy service in the brewery. It still had the original sign of the French occupation zone on the car. When it was acquired in 1982 it was restored to bring it back in traffic in 1986. The top, which you can take off, was restored much later and the whole car was brought back to its original dark blue / black colours and black upholstery. During this remarkable lifetime, the car is still matching numbers and has still all the originals parts with it like the oilcan in the engine compartment. The trailer is an original Westfalia trailer which was fabricated in 1935. Drive to Goodwood in style anyone? Not much could top this for fun with family or friends. Pure Class! http://www.historic-competitionservices.eu/nl/mercedes-benz-12-55-ps-pullmann-limousine-with-westfalia-trailer
This beautiful and very original italian roadster was recently restored to perfection without losing any of its original details. With it's six-in-line engine it pushes you through the landscape. Comes with the official workshop manuals, car cover, very well documented restoration files, instruction book and the gorgeous Borrani rims. Restored to perfection and as good underneath as it is on top. The true meaning of the italian dream! The best of the best.
This amazing Bentley started life in 1928 as a 4.5 litre Saloon built on the later 4.5 Litre "Heavy Crank" chassis as per the original 50 "Blowers" it was later disassembled in 1961, the engine fitted into the 4.5 litre prototype chassis when it was rebuilt, and the rest of the parts later rebuilt into this magnificent vehicle you see here. The car was restored by the master of Bentley's Mr Stanley Mann and the missing engine was replaced by a new Neil Davies 5.3 Litre Blower engine giving "Enough" power (actually quite enough to pull your house down) The body was made as an exact copy of the prototype 4.5 litre Blower and is a really excellent example in both quality and detail. If you want a real Bentley, and want the most powerful and most fantastic driving Bentley on the road today then you don't need to look much further than this. Registered PN1562 and with Chassis number TX 3227 you will find it's complete history detailed in the 'Hay' Bentley Bible so you can see for yourself the provenance of this fantastic car. Don't be put off by stories of WO Bentley's being hard to manage and hard to start, these are little puppies (Well big St Bernard puppies) and are probably some of the most easy managed and reliable pre-war cars in existence. Come and see for yourself. Any visit is welcomed Price and more photos on request. http://www.historic-competitionservices.eu/nl/1928-bentley-blower
1935 MERCEDES-BENZ 290B SPEZIAL ROADSTER What more do we need to say, just look at this amazing bodywork, The attention to detail and those lines, German Quality! The car was constructed in 1935 as a Mercedes 290 Sedan which was used as a limousine / demonstration car for the Daimler-Benz sales office in Berlin, Germany. The Mercedes served a very large role in the sales in Köningsberg for Daimler-Benz and was used in several bespoke events. Not much later, the car was sold to ‘Royal Highness Prince Albrecht of Bavaria’ and he drove the car to his palace in Leuchtenberg in Munich where it unfortunately also stayed during the war. A couple of years ago, the car was restored by very high standards with a very fine eye for detail. Sadly, the heavy steel sedan body was so badly damaged by the war that it was beyond repair. The owner chose for this lightweight aluminium flamboyant Spezial Roadster body instead. With those elegant sweeping lines, not a bad choice. The complete car was restored to the last nut and bolt a couple of years ago (so literally the car is in Concours condition from top to bottom) and hasn’t driven much since. Still matching numbers and stated as 1935 Mercedes 290B Spezial roadster on the German documents. The meaning of Magnificence! http://www.historic-competitionservices.eu/nl/mercedes-benz-290b-spezial-roadster
In 1951, Mercedes introduced its 220 series. Together with the flagship 300 series, these were the first post-war Mercedes with a complete new and cutting-edge 6-cylinder engine. Sporty performance, a comfortable ride and an superb looking bodywork. What else would you looking for? You could choose between the 220 Limousine, the 220 Cabriolet A (2 + 2), the Cabriolet B (4 seater) and the 220 Coupe that was inspired by the Cabriolet A. The car we show you here, is in our opinion the prettiest of them all: the Cabriolet A. With its elegant back, streamlined headlights and beautiful colour combination, it is a very desirable car. Only 1278 Cabriolet ‘A’s were ever produced before the Mercedes Ponton took over, With many lost over the years this makes it really quite a rare car indeed. Very reliable, more than enough room for luggage and a very willing engine, this is your ideal partner for a Sunday trip as well for a rally to Italy. The car is completely restored with a great of eye for detail. Very easy starting and great reliability making this a perfect car to drive with confidence for a long trip. The car comes complete with the original jack, spare wheel, etc and is completely matching numbers. If you fancy a nice convertible you can enjoy over the coming summer, this is the car to have! http://www.historic-competitionservices.eu/nl/mercedes-220-a-cabriolet-w187-1954
Chassis Number: WMB 11 Engine Number: WXA 1 Registration Number: FLW 7 Highlights: • Built for Rolls-Royce's managing director – Sir Arthur F. Sidgreaves OBE - with input from the Rolls Royce Experimental Department • Sidgreaves requested that `FLW 7' feature an uprated engine (carried over from his previous Wraith chassis WXA1) • With the engine including some Bentley Mk V modifications a 1939 comparison with a standard Wraith showed this engine to produce 10% more power than standard and as an “experimental car”, as “significantly lighter”. • Bodied as a lightweight Special Saloon by Park Ward using a steel support frame • Fitted with an electric division, Perspex roof over the driver / front passenger, Smiths `Hades' heater, Philco radio set and leather upholstery • Post War owned by three Rolls Royce directors - Baron Ernest Hives, Chairman of Rolls Royce; Captain Eric Smith, Chairman Rolls Royce; and A G Elliot, Joint Managing Director, Rolls Royce • Subsequently owned by Sir Frederick Arthur Montague “Boy” Browning, the husband of the novelist Daphne du Maurier, Sir Brian Warren, physician to Winston Churchill and Ted Heath, and Dame Josephine Barnes, the first woman President of the British Medical Association. • Recently extensively recommissioned, painted in corniche maroon and re-trimmed. Driving superbly The Wraith was ordered by Sir Arthur F Sidgreaves OBE, Chairman of Rolls Royce, who took delivery of chassis WMB 11 in 1939. He specified that It be fitted with the engine from his current Wraith chassis WXA 1 and additionally ordered the transfer of the radio and clock to his new car. The engine is closely related to the Bentley MK V unit along with the rest of the cars running gear and was frequently fitted with new developments that Sidgreaves tested personally during the period he had the car. The car was truly an experimental car and the way that things were ordered by the heads or managers of each department on the chassis cards suggest he was not the easiest person to please. The Park Ward special body fitted has no wooden frame. It has a steel base attached to the chassis and then an all alloy body fitted. Sidgreaves had worked previously as export manager with Napier prior to joining Rolls Royce and eventually became Managing Director of Rolls Royce for a 17 year period managing the company prior, throughout and post WW2. He used FLW 7 as his own car up until 1945. He was one not to be crossed and was a formidable businessman who purchased the assets of W.O. Bentley for Rolls Royce from under the noses of Napier. He had the foresight to join forces with Sir Robert Mclean of Vickers to manufacture the Spitfire. Sidgreaves was credited by `The Times' newspaper with "doing more than any other man to deliver the tools with which the RAF won the Battle of Britain." The next custodian, in 1946, was Baron Ernest Hives Chairman of Rolls Royce, a very significant figure in the history of Rolls Royce. After becoming a chief test driver in 1908, he led the Rolls Royce team in the Austrian Alpine Trial in 1913. During the First World War the company designed its first aero-engine and Hives developed it successfully, by 1916 he was Head of the Experimental Department. Other notable engines were later developed under Hives’ lead, including the Buzzard, R Series and the Merlin. In 1936 he became the general works manager of the factory and a year later was elected to the board. In 1937, thinking war would soon be inevitable, he prepared the firm for a massive production increase in Merlin engines by splitting facilities between engineering and production. As the Merlin powered Hurricanes and Spitfires, this was a decision of vital strategic significance when war did come. It was thanks to Hives that a total of a hundred and sixty thousand Merlins were produced by 1945. I n 1941 Hives quickly decided ‘to go all out for the gas turbine, ensuring the company’s leading role in developing jet engines for civil and military aviation. Vice Chief of Air Staff Sir Wilfrid Freeman, one of the masterminds behind the dramatic advances in British aircraft production before and during World War 2, paid tribute to Hives's dedication in a letter to his wife: “That man Hives is the best man I have ever come across for many a year. God knows where the RAF would have been without him. He cares for nothing except the defeat of Germany and he does all his work to that end, living a life of unending labour.” Hives became managing director in 1946 and chairman of Rolls-Royce from 1950 till 1957. He was made a Companion of Honour in 1943 and on 7 July 1950 he was raised to the peerage as Baron Hives, of Duffield in the County of Derby. The next owner was Captain Eric Smith, Chairman Rolls Royce, whose daughter Fortune was awarded the title “Her Grace the Dowager Duchess of Grafton” by HM the Queen in 2011. The final Rolls Royce director to own the car was A G Elliot up until 1951. Elliott joined Rolls Royce from Napier and became chief engineer for the aero engine division whilst being the personnel assistant to Sir Henry Royce and thereafter the joint Managing Director of Rolls Royce along with Baron Ernest Hives and then Executive Vice Chairman. In 1951 the car was then purchased by Sir Frederick Arthur Montague “Boy” Browning whose address was given as Buckingham Palace, London SW1. Browning owned the car up until 1954. During this period he was controller and treasurer to HRH Princess Elizabeth and then after their marriage became treasurer to the office of Prince Phillip after being recommended by Louis Mountbatten. He was the husband of the novelist Daphne du Maurier. At the end of WW2 Browning negotiated with and accepted the surrender of the Japanese whilst his then superior Dwight Eisenhower signed the official documents in front of the worlds media. During the hostilities he was promoted to Lt General and was instrumental in starting the Airborne corps or as we know it now, the parachute regiment, from whom spawned during that period the SAS. He was named “Boy” Browning due to his boyish looks and many books have been written on his life. HM Queen Elizabeth and the Prince Phillip would travel to Menabilly, Browning and du Maurier’s country home, along with Prince Charles and Princess Anne in the fifties and the Duke would go sailing with "Boy". It is probable that they used the Wraith at this time. The car then passed to Sir Brian Warren of Chester Square, London W1, until 1961. Another fascinating man who looked after Sir Winston Churchill’s health whilst in Downing Street and then became the personal physician to Prime Minister Ted Heath. The next owner was Dame Josephine Barnes of Chester Square, London W1, until 1963. She became the first woman President of the British Medical Association. It was then owned by Mr L Scull of Nottingham until 1974 before being bought by the late Professor Ken Britten. Amongst his many important personal engineering achievements, Britten invented the heated windscreen glass and produced gyroscopes for the first ballistic missiles for the U.S.A. Following the death of professor Britten FLW 7 was purchased by S Willkie. Ken Britten had gone through the running gear and chassis so it was a relatively simple task to drop the sump and lift the head and to see that the engine was beautifully done. The radiator was renewed, the chrome redone and the body stripped and repainted in solid maroon colour. The interior was too far gone so everything was virtually remade but fortunately the wood was in remarkably good condition, so was repolished. The Perspex sunroof was also renewed. Now “fully sorted” the Wraith drives superbly. http://www.historic-competitionservices.eu/nl/rolls-royce-wraith-park-ward
Rolls Royce is known for its superb cars, its ‘sufficient’ engine performance and its effortless rides. Often called ‘the finest automobiles in the world’ which they can still live up to today. In 1955 Rolls Royce were eager to continue this legacy with a new model: the Silver Cloud I. As the name would suggest, driving this (or get driven in this) Rolls is very close to sitting on a cloud. As was often done, coachbuilders worked along with the manufacturers to design even more exclusive cars. H.J. Mulliner & Co Ltd was one of the top such companies. They came up with a glorious design for a two-door Drophead Coupe body on the latest 6-cylinder Rolls Royce chassis. Body number style 7410 is designed on the Rolls Royce Silver Cloud I, style 7409 was adapted for the Bentley S1. Similar bodies on similar cars. #7410 was applied on chassis number SBC118 as you can see on the photos. This all Aluminium handmade body was crafted to perfection by years of experience. According to Mulliner’s records, 21 examples of the #7410 all Aluminium bodies were made: 11 Left Hand Drive and 10 Right Hand Drive. Not to be confused with the later series production version of this car where RR converted existing steel Saloon bodies into Drophead Coupes. These later 'steel' ‘convertible coupe conversions’ or design number 7405 were not to Rolls Royce’s liking and production discontinued shortly after. As you begin to notice: the example we can offer you is one of the original 10 all Aluminium Drophead Coupé fully couchbuilt ‘7410’ Right Hand Drive cars. This very rare car has all the special features you could desire: automatic roof, adjustable armrests, power steering, automatic gearbox, retractable tables in front and back, etc and is in very very lovely condition. All the invoices of the last owner are present which will prove that this car was never kept on a shoe string, but maintained to the highest standard possible. This fully matching numbers car with stunning colour combinations is indeed one of the ‘finest automobiles in the world’. If you want to experience the feeling of sitting on a (Silver) Cloud, please do not hesitate to contact us to discuss the possibilities over a cup of coffee. (or a glass of Champagne) http://www.historic-competitionservices.eu/nl/rolls-royce-silver-cloud-i-drophead-coupe-mulliner--7410
Just to prove how wonderfully versatile this magnificent car really is, a few weeks ago we drove it from Belgium to Silverstone in the UK on the Thursday, Practiced it on the Friday, Raced it on the Saturday and drove it back on the Sunday, A round trip of over 1200km plus a practice and race, no problems!! What more could you ask for? Goodwood, Mille Miglia and Tour Auto eligible. Historic Sports car racing and road racing at it's best. Fully Documented history file of very large size including original pictures and files on the very original works body still fitted today Registered by the Frazer Nash register, FN209 was constructed in 1954 as a standard 200-series parallel tube chassis, complete with the usual leaf-spring front suspension, Austin rear axle, adjustable rear torsion bars, steel-rimmed centre-lock wire wheels and cast iron brake drums. (mk1 spec) It was fitted with Bristol engine number BS4/412, which was located well back in the chassis as per the Sebring models FN201 and FN207. The engine was subsequently removed by the factory and the rest of the rolling chassis stripped of it's other components and the bare chassis stored at the factory until the late 1960s, AFN passed it over (along with all other remaining post war spares) to the famous lady racing driver Betty Haig, Grand niece of Field-Marshal the Earl Haig, K.G., G.C.B., O.M, she was also a leading member of the Frazer Nash Club. Betty Haig assembled all the remaining parts for FN209 and kept them in storage ready for rebuilding. In 1975, FN209 and all of it's remaining parts were sold to Simon Phillips via Cleobury Garages, Philips then had it rebuilt into it's present Mk2 guise and installed the correct BS4 engine with six-port cylinder head and triple twin-choke carburettors that was supplied by FN to Betty Haig with all the other original parts from FN209, The car was also fitted with the de Dion rear axle and inboard rear brakes to MkII specification at this time. The lightweight body was the one originally built for Jack Walton's ‘Works’ Le Mans Replica FN157, When completed it was registered 'OUG 2' (the first number plate worn by Walton's car, FN157 was 'OUG 3'). Phillips later campaigned the car with success during the 1976/1977 seasons before offering it for sale. The purchaser was Tim Walton (the son of Jack, and first owner of OUG 3) who proceeded to compete with the car during 1981. That same year, Walton was able to purchase the original and complete MKII body previously worn by James Lowe's chassis FN183. This was then transferred to FN209, following which Walton returned to the tracks and competed in, among other events, the 1987 Mille Miglia and 1988 Coppa d'Italia before offering the car for sale in 1992. Michael Johnson was the next keeper who also contested the Mille Miglia, as well as the FIVA World Rally and Pyrenees Rally, before selling to Howard Dyer via Gregor Fisken in 1997. The present owner bought the car from Dryer in March 2011, just three months after extensive revision work had been carried out by Blakeney Motorsport - the work comprising an extensive mix of servicing, repairs and general recommissioning. The car then went back to Blakeney Motorsport with it’s new owner for a further £50,000 worth of fettling, The car is in really excellent condition and is "on the button" This car drives like the wind! You really do not need a faster and better handling road / rally car than this one. One drive and you will be addicted!! As am I. (I’m sure the Devil built this car to lure people into sin, for I would almost surely sell my soul for this one) Comes with new 2016 FIA HTP papers for racing and FIA papers for historic rallying, and is of course eligible for the Mille Miglia and Tour Auto amongst many more of the top World rallies. http://www.historic-competitionservices.eu/nl/frazer-nash-le-mans-rep--200
Chassis Number: B34AW Engine Number: K5BF Registration Number: FYL 811 Highlights: • The rarest of all Bentleys, 1 of 7 Mark Vs in existence • B34AW is the last surviving Bentley chassis to leave the Derby works • First registered to renowned dealer Jack Barclay (as 'JB 1') and evaluated by him over a two-year period before being returned to the factory. • Fitted with Park Ward coachwork and later restored by Andrew Wood (now of P&A Wood) whilst he was an apprentice at the Rolls Royce Hythe Road service department. • Correct type engine from Woolf Barnato's sister Bentley chassis B-16-AW • “[the Mark V] a car, now only emerging from the experimental stage, which those fortunate mortals who have tried it proclaim to be the finest all-rounder ever built” Motor Sport Magazine February 1941 The Mark V is the rarest of all Bentleys. Rolls Royce planned to produce thirty-five experimental Bentley MK V chassis starting from B-2-AW through to B-70-AW using even numbers only. Seventeen were actually completed into running chassis due to the outbreak of the Second World War. Ten of these are recorded as being destroyed during the war and seven genuine MK V’s remain today. One of those is owned by Bentley Motors and included within their seven car “Lineage Collection” to indicate its importance to the development of Bentley cars. The 4 ¼ Litre Derby Bentley – advertised as the ‘Silent Sports Car’ – was refined, reliable and loved by owners, among them land speed record holder Sir Malcolm Campbell. But, by the late 1930s it had become obvious that its chassis design was becoming dated. Competitors with newer designs were crowding in and sales were in decline. The Bentley Mark V was the company’s answer – but its time was short-lived, as the outbreak of WWII halted all car production until 1946. Following the war the first car to emerge from the Crewe works was the highly successful Bentley Mark VI. This was effectively the fully-developed form of the Mark V, including all the components and engineering revisions originally planned for its predecessor. The Mark V was powered by an OHV crossflow 4257cc six-cylinder engine, similar in concept to that of the 4 ¼ Litre Bentley but substantially revised. A new and robust cruciform chassis featured deep side members, making it stiffer to the benefit of both refinement and handling. Brakes were servo driven and the four-speed overdrive gearbox now featured synchromesh on 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears. But the biggest change was the adoption of independent front suspension with coil springs and wishbones. The first Mark V prototypes were warmly received by the board of directors and a series of Mark V Bentleys were prepared for long-distance testing in continental Europe during 1938. The company also commissioned an aerodynamic version called the Corniche; it was designed by Georges Paulin, creator of the influential Embiricos Bentley, and bodied by Carosserie Vanvooren in France. Unfortunately this ‘missing link’ between pre-war Embiricos and postwar Continental was badly damaged in a crash on 7th August 1939 in France; the chassis was returned to Derby while the entire body was removed and repaired at a local coachworks. The repaired body was later waiting on the dockside at Dieppe when it was caught in a bombing raid and completely destroyed. The Rolls-Royce Heritage Trust is currently recreating a Bentley Corniche. Another one-off prototype was an eight-cylinder version of the Mark V, nicknamed the ‘Scalded Cat’ due to its electrifying performance. According to automotive historian Ken Lea, the Bentley Mark V was ‘probably the most thoroughly developed and tested car the company had seen.’ It was signed off for production in time for its planned debut at the 1939 Olympia Motor Show, where it would have been displayed with bodywork by a number of independent coachbuilders. Following the outbreak of war in September 1939 both production and the motor show were cancelled. The Mark V was the first Bentley to employ independent front suspension, a feature which made a significant difference to its handling. The chosen wishbone / coil spring system was attached to a stiffer, stronger version of the outgoing 4.25 litre chassis that incorporated notably deeper side rails. The advanced engine was closer in concept to the torquey Wraith unit and improvements made included higher compression pistons; modified camshafts; reworked inlet and exhaust manifolds; and twin SU carburettors. Other refinements included synchromesh on second gear as well as the upper ratios and a divided propeller shaft. B-34-AW is the last Derby Bentley made, being the last chassis to leave the Derby works and, as will be seen, subsequently became of considerable historical importance. Indeed, bearing in mind the post-war rationalisation of the Rolls-Royce / Bentley ranges, it is reasonable to regard this as the last of the company's truly handmade cars, the lineage of which dated back to 1908. Chassis B-34-AW was intended to debut at the 1939/1940 New York World Fair but, owing to the risks involved in shipping at that time, was instead offered to Jack Barclay in June 1940 as a Park Ward Sports Saloon, and duly registered `JB 1'. It is important to understand that all the Mark Vs were effectively experimental cars, and the deal was that Barclay would evaluate B-34-AW over a two year period and provide Rolls-Royce with regular updates, which he did. With the original agreement satisfied, the Rolls was then registered as `FYL 811' and sold to Mr P G Hingley of Worcestershire - images in the book `A Pride of Bentleys' by John Adams and Ray Roberts show the car was liveried in Yellow over Black around this period. Following six further keepers, it was acquired by Andrew Wood, now of the renowned marque specialists P & A Wood of Essex. At the time of his purchase, Wood was an apprentice at Rolls-Royce's Hythe Road Works. Andrew and his brother Paul restored the car under the watchful eye of the Hythe Road foreman, installing the latest factory improvements to ensure the car was to the optimum specification. This, their first Bentley restoration, was recently celebrated when the car was invited to, and displayed at, the opening of P & A Wood's new Rolls-Royce showroom. Following a much more recent restoration of its lightweight body which consists of a steel frame with alloy wings, boot lid, bonnet and doors, FYL 811 is now resplendent in its original colour of Corniche Maroon and is complemented by Pale Grey hide upholstery and matching Grey carpets bound in leather. A very rare high performance pre-war “super saloon” capable of long distance touring or rallying.
JAGUAR C-TYPE BY DAVID BROWN Chassis Number: 716882 Engine Number: A3994-7 Head number: LB 8353-8 Registration Number: JUN 563 When the XK120 saw the daylight in 1948, only aluminium was available to construct these gracious automobiles during the after days of WWII. It was never suspected that those fine sports cars were such a success which led to ordering tooling for the steel sheets to cope with the ever growing orders. 240 ‘alloy’ bodied 120’s were made and almost all of them found their way to some sort of racing circuit due it’s very light bodywork and nimble character. Jaguar reacted accordingly and decided to develop a specially made track-built version of these lightweight 120’s: The C-type. These C-types set the course for the 7 overall wins at Le Mans for Jaguar when in 1951 they won Le Mans for the first time and did it again in 1953 with their updated version. D-types continued this winning-streak and the rest is well-known history. The car we present you is a recreation of one of Jaguars most famous cars. It has been made by World renowned C-type expert David Brown in New Zealand to the highest detail you can think off. The car is constructed to the original drawings provided by friend, and well-known classic car dealer, Ian Cummings in Sydney, these being based on an original C-type located in his shop. David Brown constructed this C-type to very high standards and using as much original parts as possible. The car is constructed on a tubular frame where a full aluminium coach built bodywork was expertly crafted. A 1953 Jaguar Mark VII donated its basic parts and 3.4 litre engine block for this car. (although completely rebuilt to C Type spec) With a 83mm bore and 106mm stroke, the specifications are exactly the same to the original C-type. A Jaguar MKII provided the head fitted on this bespoke machine which gives you the correct bigger valve diameters to give that extra bit of ‘oomph’ to the already powerful lump. The original C-type gave you 203BHP which was easily achieved by this setup. Double overhead cams, original double twin “Sand Cast” H8 cast SU carburettors, four-wheel original type drum brakes and detailed independent front suspension proving it very very close to the original example in their workshop. The gearbox is the famous Jaguar four-speed Moss box as fitted to all C-types, all the instruments are correct as are the Brooklands type windscreens and even the cold air intake box for the carburettors. Every stitch, every rivet and every bolt were fitted with the C-type in mind. Even the wiring looms are made out of braded cotton wire and with wonderful detail. What more can we say, the attention to detail is absolutely stunning. It is believed that the few existing “David Brown C-types” are so good that distinguishing them from the originals is very tricky even for Jaguar specialists. These are renowned for being the best of the best. Therefore it is more than logical that these “Post production” C-types as standard FIA recreations, are FIA applicable and are being raced among their full blood brothers in major events around the World. This car comes with 1953 V5C British registration papers, original “JUN 563” number plate and is therefore eligible to race in the FIA vintage series. The current owner bought the car from ‘The old Racing Car Company’ in the UK who acquired it directly from David Brown as his UK demo vehicle. If you like C-types and don’t want to spend multi millions (literally) on your dream car, this example will be perfect for you. Made to the highest standards and driving like a thoroughbred sports car, although is handles easily in normal traffic as well, this car is the pinnacle of early 50’s motorsport. It is stunning in every aspect. http://www.stuff.co.nz/southland-times/business/2948893/Dave-Brown-model-just-like-the-original http://www.nzherald.co.nz/motoring/news/article.cfm?c_id=9&objectid=10772798 http://www.historic-competitionservices.eu/nl/jaguar-c-type-by-david-brown