The Capri was a two-door coupé version of the Ford Classic saloon made by Ford of Britain. The Ford Classic was a result of four years of development with approval for the project given in Autumn 1956. The styling of the car was the last project undertaken by Colin Neale before he left Dagenham for Dearborn. The initial design requirement was for the Ford Classic to be a full range model to take Ford into the new decade, Ford even developed a full-size estate prototype. The Capri Project was code named 'Sunbird' and took design elements from the Ford Thunderbird and the Ford Galaxie Sunliner. It was instigated by Sir Horace Denne, Ford's Sales Director, he wanted a 'co-respondent's' car to add glamour to the product line. In its September announcement, the Capri was for export only but went on sale to the domestic British market in January 1962. The bodies were sub-assembled by Pressed Steel Fisher with only final assembly taking place at Dagenham in Essex. It was intended as part of the Ford Classic range of cars but the body was complex and expensive to produce. The Ford Classic was made from 1961 to 1963, and replaced by the Cortina-derived Ford Corsair. Originally registered on
A beautiful surviving example of Ford’s first post-war design success. In traditional black with red seating and carpets, this saloon is bodily very sound, runs like a dream with some useful upgrades to allow it perform successfully in today’s conditions and is nicely patinated all round.
Ford Consul Mk 1 1954 finished in black with red upholstery. This stunning example was purchased by its long term custodian in 1955. (Original purchase invoice, HP agreement and insurance certificate from 1955 supplied in the vast history folder). He kept the car until 2003 by which time the car had covered 57,850 miles from new. The car was in very good original condition. It was then purchased by the last owner who spent GBP 30,000 having a last nut and bolt restoration to top show condition carried out. This work entailed a complete colour change from beige to black, complete retrim, all the brightwork was replated by The London Chroming Company and all the mechanics were recommissioned. Supplied with a huge history file containing the original Consul instruction book, original buff log book, 1955 HP agreement, a large amount of invoices, MOTs and correspondence before the car was restored in 2004 plus all the invoices and a photographic record of the 2004 restoration and servicing invoices since then. The car has now only covered a genuine 58,496 miles from new and is in top show condition and drives like new.