Manual Ferrari 575M sells for $462,000 and Pagani Huayra makes $2million at RM Sotheby’s Amelia Island auction
RM Sotheby’s managed total sales of $38,685,100 at Amelia Island this year, with a strong 89 per cent of all lots sold. The top seller was a stunning 1962 Ferrari 400 Superamerica LWB Coupe Aerodinamico, which sold for a total of $4,400,000. That figure is considerably higher than the $2.7m-$3.3m estimate, also making this a record price for the model.
Among the other strong sellers were a number of more modern offerings. Perhaps the most noteworthy was the 2002 Ferrari 575M Maranello, fitted with the rare and hugely desirable six-speed manual transmission, sold for a total of $462,000. Another interesting result was the Pagani Huayra, which made $2,035,000.
There were many other significant cars sold at the auction. An exceptional Ferrari 288 GTO – the first car delivered new to Japan – made $2,585,000. Another Group B specimen, the rare 1985 Ford RS200 Evolution (upgraded to 600bhp specification by the factory) sold for an on-estimate $522,500.
Another couple of worthy modern mentions include the $363,000 Aston Martin AR1, with less than 700 miles on the clock, as well as the similarly low mileage $308,500 Porsche 911 Turbo.
At the novelty and curio end of the scale, cars of note include the Canadian-registered London Taxi, which sold for $77,000, but perhaps the biggest surprise of the evening came in the form of the tiny 1964 Peel P50, which eventually sold for $176,000.
Gord Duff, Car Specialist, RM Sotheby’s commented: ‘We had another great auction here at Amelia Island, with a solid sell-through rate of 89 percent and numerous cars from across all segments of the market exceeding estimate and achieving record prices.’
RM Sotheby’s top 10 sellers at Amelia Island
- 1962 Ferrari 400 Superamerica LWB Coupe Aerodinamico - $4,400,000
- 1984 Ferrari 288 GTO - $2,585,000
- 1968 Ferrari 330 GTS - $2,200,000
- 2014 Pagani Huayra - $2,035,000
- 1954 Bentley R-Type Continental Fastback Sports Saloon - $1,815,000
- 1955 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Gullwing - $1,265,000
- 1932 Packard Twin Six Coupe Roadster - $1,210,000
- 1963 Shelby 289 Cobra - $1,155,000
- 1931 Stutz DV-32 Convertible Victoria - $1,100,000
- 1968 Chevrolet Sunoco Camaro Trans Am - $990,000
All images: RM Sotheby's