The sale of the Baillon collection, including rare Ferrari 250 GT SWB California Spider, was a huge success for Artcurial. Results here
Artcurial held a fantastic auction in Paris on 6 February, selling off the highly anticipated Baillion Collection and other assorted classics. The sale made a total of €46m, with the Barnfind cars making €25.15m alone. There was an 89 per cent sell-through rate for the whole sale, with 100 per cent of the Baillon cars selling – the vast majority ending significantly higher than the top estimates.
Various record auction prices were achieved (full list below), with the most significant being the 1961 Ferrari 250 GT SWB California Spider which sold for €16.3m. The second most expensive car of the sale was the 1956 Maserati A6G 2000 Gran Sport Frua, found along side the 250, which sold for €2m.
The second half of the sale also saw a fair amount of frantic bidding, with a 1966 Ferrari 275 GTB Berlinetta selling to a European collector for €1.9m. A 1968 Bizzarrini 5300 GT Strada attracted bids of up to €1.2m – yet another auction world record price.
It was a once in a lifetime discovery, and the response to the Barnfind Baillon collection – from collectors, enthusiasts and the general public – has been absolutely phenomenal. Artcurial released the first amazing images of the cars in December, and the buzz surrounding the collection has been amazing, demonstrated by the high prices paid for some of the cars.
Matthieu Lamoure, Managing Director of Artcurial Motorcars commented: ‘These exceptional results spring from work that has taken six months. News of the Baillon Collection has travelled around the world. International buyers came together in one room to pay homage to Roger Baillon. This triumph demonstrates the universal passion for the automobile. This is a significant collection that has enjoyed a significant success.’ Top ten sale prices
World record auction prices
- 1961 Ferrari 250 GT SWB California Spider, Baillon Collection €16.3m
- 1956 Maserati A6G 2000 Gran Sport Berlinetta Frua, Baillon Collection €2m
- 1966 Ferrari 275 GTB Berlinetta €1.9m
- Talbot-Lago T26 Grand Sport SWB by Saoutchik 1949, Baillon Collection €1.7m
- 1938 Mercedes Benz 380 K Cabriolet A €1.4m
- 1968 Bizzarrini 5300 GT Strada €1.2m
- 1957 Mercedes Benz 300 SL Roadster with Hard-Top €929,800
- 1962 Maserati 3500 GT Spider Vignale €858,200
- 1961 Maserati 3500 GT Spider Vignale €834,400
- 1948 Talbot-Lago T26 Record Cabriolet by Saoutchik, Baillon Collection €745,000
- 1961 Ferrari 250 GT California Spider SWB 1961: sold €16.3m
- 1956 Maserati A6G Frua: sold €2m
- 1968 Bizzarrini 5300 GT Strada : sold €1.2m
- 2011 Ferrari 599 GTO: sold €441,000
- 1986 Ferrari Testarossa: sold €196,700
- 1969 Lamborghini 400 GT Islero S: sold €298,000
- 1965 Maserati Mistral 3.7L: sold €181,200
- 1965 Mercedes-Benz 300 SE Cabriolet: sold €119,200
- 1958 Porsche 356 A Speedster: sold €298,000
- 1973 De Tomaso Pantera GTS: sold €133,500