Report and highlight video from RM Auctions' Paris auction
RM Auctions’ Paris auction, its first European sale of 2015, got the year off to a great start, selling 54 of the 67 cars on offer for a total of €19,221,075 – an 80.6 per cent sell-through rate.
With a list of lots ranging from a 1990 Ferrari F40 to a 1968 De Tomaso Mangusta, the Paris auction featured a fine selection of the rarest and most collectible cars in the world. One of the opening sales – a fully restored Citroen 2CV – fetched €14k (top money for a 2CV, setting the tone for what would be an evening full of fantastic cars and a few surprising figures.
The top seller of the evening was the 1963 Ferrari 250 GT/L ‘Lusso’ Berlinetta, which finished up at €1,624,000, closely followed by the 1964 Porsche 904 Carrera GTS which reached €1,428,000. Other highlights included a one owner Ferrari Testarossa, which went for just over €168k when the hammer fell. Shortly after a 1967 Maserati Sebring 3700GT sparked a bidding war, which ceased at a price of €168,000 had also been achieved.
A glorious 1963 Mercedes-Benz 230 SL ‘Pagoda’, marketed as one of the most perfect examples available, reached €123,200. The figures that the hammer was achieving could only hint at the quality of the cars on sale, with each new lot no less special than the last.
The professionalism of auctioneer Max Girardo must be mentioned too as he kept the room at a fever pitch throughout the course of the night. The cars more than sold themselves, but it was good to have someone at the helm who could accurately translate their appeal.
The next RM auction takes place at Amelia Island on 14 March, and if this year’s Paris sale was anything to go by, it’ll certainly be one not to miss.
RM Auctions Paris – Top 10 Sales
1) 1963 Ferrari 250 GT/L 'Lusso' Berlinetta - €1,624,000
2) 1964 Porsche 904 Carrera GTS - €1,428,000
3) 1963 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Roadster - €1,232,000
4) 1990 Ferrari F40 - €1,176,000
5) 1965 Iso Grifo A3/C Stradale - €1,036,000
6) 1964 Aston Martin DB5 - €840,000
7) 1969 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona Berlinetta - €705,600
8) 1939 Bentley 4¼-Litre “Honeymoon Express” - €672,000
9) 1958 Ferrari 250 GT Coupé - €580,000
10) 1970 Maserati Ghibli 4.7 Spyder - €550,000
Want to watch highlights from the auction?