The Birmingham Small Arms Company (BSA) manufactured all manner of items from bicycles to buses and firearms to machine tools; not to mention motorcycles and motorcars. In 1929 BSA merged with Daimler and turned its attention to front-wheel drive three-wheelers. Though commonplace now, powering the front wheels was relatively novel at the time, and BSA combined the configuration with such niceties as a reverse gear, electric start and full weather protection. Having foreseen the growing demand for small, lightweight cars, BSA added a run of fun, affordable four-wheelers. A direct development was the BSA 10 of 1933 which was based on the Lanchester 10 chassis and running gear with a 4-door 4-seater body by Pressed Steel. It could also be ordered with a coachbuilt body by the likes of Mulliner or Peerless. It was powered by a water-cooled 1,185cc straight-four, sidevalve engine that drove through a fluid flywheel to a Wilson four-speed pre-selector gearbox, giving a top speed of 58mph on level ground. The standard 10hp saloon cost £235 at launch with coachbuilt models costing about £20 more.
AGY 57 was first registered on the 15 th June 1933 and although over 80 years old still retai
1933 bsa 10 h p saloon 4-door 4-speed lightweight restored sunroof