loading Loading please wait....

search results

18 Results

search results

  • 1937 Frazer Nash BMW 328

    For sale
    POA

    Chassis No: 85034 Engine No: 85034 -0- BMW’s emergence as a manufacturer of fine sporting motor cars can be traced back to the annual Eifelrennen event held at the Nürburgring on 14th June 1936, when Ernst Henne beat a field that included 1½-litre monoposto racing cars driving the prototype of what would become one of the most iconic sports cars of all time – the legendary ‘328’. The fact that this overwhelming victory had been achieved only eight years after BMW’s establishment as an automobile manufacturer is all the more remarkable. Lacking the resources of their larger and longer established rivals, BMW had adopted a ‘mix and match’ approach to model development. Thus the 328 employed the tubular chassis, transverse-leaf independent front suspension and live rear axle of the 319; the cylinder block and hydraulic brakes of the 326; and a body incorporating stylistic elements of the 319/1 Sport and 329. With the 328, BMW’s Chief Engineer Fritz Fiedler turned accepted chassis design on its head, coming up with a frame that combined lightness and stiffness in equal measure – virtues that permitted the use of relatively soft springing with all its attendant advantages. In short: the

    • Year : 1937
    For sale
    POA
    Bradfield Cars
    1635881691 View contact number
  • 1962 Aston Martin DB4 – Series V

    For sale
    POA

    Chassis No: DB4/1119/R Engine 370/1074/SS ] The Aston Martin DB4 was produced between October 1958 and June 1963. It featured highly evocative coachwork, designed by Touring of Milan using their “Superleggera” system of alloy panels fixed to a tubular frame. The new engine was an all alloy, twin overhead camshaft, six cylinder unit of 3.7 litres. The DB4 evolved through five ‘Series’ as developments were introduced. This car is a rare and beautiful example of the ultimate specification; an original right hand drive ‘Series V’ Vantage and is correctly finished in its original colours of ‘Fiesta Red’ with fawn leather to the interior. The up-rated Vantage engine specification had been introduced as an optional extra in 1961. This car therefore benefits from three SU HD8 carburettors, 9:1 compression ratio and larger valves producing 266 bhp at 5,750 rpm. In addition the car was fitted from new with an oil cooler, which was another optional extra and a high-ratio back axle. This Aston Martin DB4 has an impressive mechanical specification and this is complemented by the styling improvements that had been introduced for the ‘Series V’ which principally were covered headlamps and the DB4

    • Year : 1962
    For sale
    POA
  • 1964 Porsche 904 GTS

    For sale
    POA

    Ex Scuderia Filipinetti Chassis 904 079 The Porsche 904 was launched in 1964. Homologation rules dictated that 100 cars be built and to produce these a simple achievable design was needed. A pressed steel box section ladder chassis bonded to a GRP body was designed by Ferry Porsche, grandson of Dr. Ferdinand. The result was a stiffer platform than the handbuilt space-frames they had been making. By April that year enough examples had been constructed to homologate the car and from the start they proved highly successful in the 2 litre class, many in the hands of private owner endurance racers who loved the reliability and handling This car has a wonderful and well-documented competition history. Chassis 079 was bought new in April 1964 by Swiss entrepreneur and racing team patron, Georges Filipinetti. It was to be finished in his Scuderia Filipinetti team’s bright red racing livery and campaigned by promising Swiss drivers Herbie Muller, Dieter Spoerry and Claude Sage. The car made its racing debut in the ADAC 1,000km race at the Nurburgring on April 30, 1964. Co-driven by Herbie Muller and Andre Knorr it romped home impressively sixth overall and 2nd in class. The sixth place fini

    • Year : 1964
    For sale
    POA
  • 1954 Kurtis 500S

    For sale
    POA

    Chassis Number: KK45 UK Registration: 620 XUH Frank Kurtis built over 800 cars over a 30 year period. The first “500 Series” appeared at Indianapolis in 1952 driven by Bill Vukovich. He led the race for 375 miles and he would have won if he had not suffered a steering box failure with four laps to go. This impressive performance inspired Kurtis to go on and produce a sports car for road and track, not least because he had test driven an Allard and knew he could do better. The spec of KK45 is based on the car that Tony Bettenhauser entered into the 1953 Carrera Pan Americana. KK45 has been in the UK since 2007 and has been carefully developed into a front running Fifties sports-racer. The rugged 5½ Litre Chrysler engine easily produces 395 bhp at the rear wheels through a four speed Jaguar XK gearbox. The suspension is torsion bar with telescopic dampers and 11 inch Ford drum brakes. Last campaigned in 2014 it finished 3rd in the Woodcote at Silverstone with a 2.32 best lap and won the Peter Collins Trophy at Goodwood (best 1.32). It is highly eligible for the most prestigious events and notably race impresario Duncan Wiltshire is keen to see it back in the Woodcote Trophy and with

    • Year : 1954
    For sale
    POA
  • 1956 Bentley S1 Continental by Park Ward

    For sale
    POA

    Chassis No: BC 73 BG Engine No: BC 72 B Registration No: YSU 605 The success of the R-Type Continental ensured that a similar lightweight high performance version of the S-Type would be offered as part of the Bentley range and consequently the S 1 Continental was produced between 1955 and 1959 with a production run of 431 chassis. The robust 4.9 litre, six cylinder engine was retained but with higher compression, more efficient cylinder head porting and performance enhancing exhaust and cam-shaft. The chassis was also up-rated and benefited from hydraulic servo brakes and ride control. The result was 120 mph performance in comfort and style. This Park Ward Continental is special because it is one of the very rare cars supplied with a manual gearbox. This was only fitted as a customer request as at that time the automatic gearbox was the standard fitment. It is believed that only three were supplied with the delightful four-speed manual, and is regarded today as far more desirable as any R Type Fastback enthusiast will confirm. The car was commissioned to the order of the Countess of Suffolk and was delivered to her in the Florida in January 1957. An highly unusual choice not only b

    • Year : 1956
    For sale
    POA
  • 1969 Chevron B8

    For sale
    POA

    Chassis DBE 78 Chevron cars were based in Lancashire and built high performance competition cars in an old mill in Bolton. The man behind the name was Derek Bennett, a self-taught engineer turned racer. Their first car appeared in 1965, the B1 and they would go on to produce over 47 models, until Bennett’s tragic death in a hang gliding accident in 1978. Chevron produced some of the most dramatic and successful race cars the world had ever seen. The highly successful B8 appeared in 1968 usually with a BMW 2 litre engine. It was homologated into Group 4 in March that year on the understanding that 50 were built. To help with numbers every rebuild counted as a new car. Chassis DBE 78 has an unrivalled international competition history. In 1969, owned by Anthony Bamford and racing in the famous JCB yellow livery, the car was entered into all the major endurance events and is the only Chevron B8 to have run at Le Mans. The team drivers were Peter Brown and John Enever who had previously successfully raced together in an MGB. The results sheet for 1969 is as follows: Date Race Result 4th May Targa Florio 14th 11th May 1000 km Spa 20th 1st June 1000 km Nurburgring 17th 15th June 24 Hours

    • Year : 1969
    For sale
    POA
  • 1936 Bentley 4.25 Litre Tourer by Vanden Plas

    For sale
    POA

    Chassis No: B 138 GA Engine No : K 6 BW Registration No: BLV 272 The ‘Derby Bentley’ is widely regarded as the most sophisticated car that money could buy in the 1930’s. The chassis was remarkable in that it offered the driver effortless sports car performance in almost absolute silence. This was achieved with a six cylinder engine with a synchromesh four-speed gearbox, with servo assisted braking and with a one shot lubrication system. If this was not enough the car also had the benefit of adjustable rear suspension and a chassis damper that doubled as a front bumper. The engine had a cross flow cylinder head with SU carburettors, a crankshaft damper and roller cam followers. Originally only available with a 3½ Litre engine the more powerful 4¼ Litre option became available in 1936. In their understated way Rolls-Royce had created one of greatest cars of the day, the “Silent Sports Car” and it is not surprising that so many notable figures, celebrities and racing drivers of the day owned them. The first Vanden Plas Tourer on the new 4¼ Litre Chassis was ordered by the legendary racer and World Land Speed Record holder Sir Malcolm Campbell. This car B 138 GA is the sister car, buil

    • Year : 1936
    For sale
    POA
  • 1937 Bentley 4.25 Litre Tourer by Vanden Plas

    For sale
    POA

    Registration No: ELC 321 Chassis No: B 107 KU Engine No: S 4 BT The ‘Derby Bentley’ is widely regarded as the most sophisticated car that money could buy in the 1930’s. The chassis was remarkable in that it offered the driver effortless sports car performance in almost absolute silence. This was achieved with a six cylinder engine with a synchromesh four-speed gearbox, with servo assisted braking and with a one shot lubrication system. If this was not enough the car also had the benefit of adjustable rear suspension and a chassis damper that doubled as a front bumper. The engine had a cross flow cylinder head with SU carburettors, a crankshaft damper and roller cam followers. Originally only available with a 3½ Litre engine the more powerful 4¼ Litre option became available in 1936. In their understated way Rolls-Royce had created one of greatest cars of the day, the “Silent Sports Car” and it is not surprising that so many notable figures, celebrities and racing drivers of the day owned them. Vanden Plas Body No: 3599 (Light and dark Grey) Body Design: 1459 Chassis B 107 KU is an original Vanden Plas Tourer and was the first Bentley to be fitted with this design coachwork. It is o

    • Year : 1937
    For sale
    POA
  • 1937 Lagonda LG45 Rapide

    For sale
    POA

    Registration No: EP 97 Chassis No: 12203/R Engine No: LG45/370R/S3 In 1933 Lagonda announced a new 4½ litre model fitted with an engine built by the Meadows company. This was a robust unit, well tried and used by Invicta in their range of cars and Vickers in tanks. The first Lagonda Tourers were high quality cars and in direct competition with the new Bentleys built by Rolls-Royce. The Lagonda was priced at £ 795 for the complete car. The Bentley chassis alone cost £ 1,100 and even the cheapest Vanden Plas Tourer body would be another £ 240 on top! With its stylish appearance the Lagonda M45 Tourer was the fashionable car to own in 1934 and even Sir Malcolm Campbell had one, pale blue naturally. However these were difficult times for the company and high stock levels and poor sales of smaller cars in the range resulted in Lagonda going into receivership in June 1935. The very same month a 4½ litre Lagonda won the Le Mans 24 hour race. In those days success in motor racing sold cars and with better timing this could have put the business back on its feet but it was all too late. However the company was sold to a consortium led by Alan Good, with Dick Watney as Managing Director and

    • Year : 1937
    For sale
    POA
  • 1961 Aston Martin DB4 GT

    For sale
    POA

    Registration: TBA Chassis No: DB4GT/0158/R Engine No: 370/0145/GT Aston Martin were very aware that the benefits of their success on the race track were far greater than the costs of taking part and had a significant effect on sales and the public perception of the brand. The DB4, their new model for 1958, was a great success featuring the Tadek Marek all alloy engine and iconic coachwork by Touring, but the design team knew it was not really a high performance sports racer and were working on the ‘GT’ before the DB4 had entered production. To achieve the performance they were looking for the car needed to be lighter. This was principally achieved by shortening the wheelbase by 5 inches and making the body out of lightweight 18 gauge magnesium alloy as opposed to the weightier 16 gauge aluminium used for the DB4. Weight was shed wherever possible and accordingly the car had no rear seats, bumpers without over-riders and Borrani wheels. The weight saving was 185lbs and the car was also fitted with disc brakes all round, Perspex covers to the headlights and a large bonnet air-intake and another below the grill to service the oil cooler. The engine was uprated and notably fitted with

    • Year : 1961
    For sale
    POA
  • 1960 Aston Martin DB4 GT Zagato Recreation

    For sale
    POA

    Registration No: FAS 302 Chassis No: DB4/272/R Aston Martin had all but withdrawn from racing by 1960; they had won Le Mans and the Constructor’s Championship in 1959 and felt that they could rest on their laurels. However, it quickly dawned on them that the benefits of their success on the track were far greater than the costs of taking part and had a significant effect on sales. Accordingly, shortly after the launch of the DB4 GT it was decided to get back into racing. They found the competition had grown even more formidable and they needed a faster, lighter and more competitive car. Initially Aston Martin approached Touring to see if they could come up with a new design, but their preferred coachbuilder already had its hands full with its own high volume work. However they introduced Aston Martin to the local firm of Zagato, a smaller company that could produce the specialist work required and in small numbers. However, at Zagato the project was given to a 23 year junior designer fresh from University, Ercole Spada. Despite his inexperience and as he recalls that he spent no more than a week on the main design and much of that polishing what he had produced in just a few days,

    • Year : 1960
    For sale
    POA
  • 1962 Jaguar E Type 3.8 Litre Series 1 Roadster

    For sale
    POA

    Registration No: 393 RU Chassis No: 850585 Engine No: R 5297-9 Introduced in 3.8-litre form in 1961, the Jaguar E-Type caused a sensation when it appeared, with instantly classic lines and 150mph top speed. John Bolster, writing in Autosport, later said of the car: “If Les Vingt Quatre Heures du Mans has been responsible for the new E-Type Jaguar, then that Homeric contest on the Sarthe circuits will have been abundantly justified. Here we have one of the quietest and most flexible cars on the market, capable of whispering along in top gear at 10mph or leaping into its 150mph stride on the brief depression of a pedal. A practical touring car this, with its wide doors and capacious luggage space, yet it has a sheer beauty of line which easily beats the Italians at their own particular game.” The E Type’s design did indeed owe much to that of the Le Mans-winning D-Type sports racer: a monocoque tub forming the main structure, while a tubular space frame extended forwards to support the engine. The latter was the same 3.8-litre, triple carburettor ’S’ unit first offered as an option on the preceding XK150. With a claimed 265bhp available, the E-Type’s performance did not disappoint; f

    • Year : 1962
    For sale
    POA
  • 1965 Iso Grifo 3/C

    For sale
    POA

    Registration No: GBD 442C Chassis No: BO 215 Chassis B0215 is the only right-hand drive A3/C with period competition history and a riveted aluminium body by Drogo. This magnificent car is powered by a Pete Knight 5.3L Chevrolet engine fitted with a Holley and currently producing 520bhp on the dyno and a top speed of circa 176mph. Beautifully prepared by Stanton Motorsports for an owner with a cavalier disregard for expense the car specs include De Dion rear suspension, BPA LSD, correct Dunlop brakes and a full leather interior. The car is offered with HTP & FIA papers and with a significant history file. It is road registered and has an additional engine and some running spares. This well-known car has been a regular entrant at all the most prestigious events including Le Mans & Spa. It makes a noise like the wrath of God and your mother is not going to like it. 18.05.2014 HSCC Silverstone International Circuit Northamptonshire England. GT and Sports Car Cup #77 Alex Bell and Peter Bradfield Iso Grifo A3 and C

    • Year : 1965
    For sale
    POA
  • 1938 Lagonda V12 Rapide

    For sale
    POA

    Registration Number: HPB 438 Chassis No: 14068 Engine No: 14068 There is a romantic fairy tale aura to the Lagonda marque that you couldn’t make up. This quintessentially British company was actually founded by an American who named it after the Shawnee Indian name for the town he grew up in. Wilbur Gunn had a career as an opera singer and sewing machine manufacturer before turning his hand to motorcycles and cars. His business continued after his death but was struggling in the early Thirties. The same month that the company failed a Lagonda won the enormously important 24 Hour race at Le Mans, at that time success on the race track quickly translated into sales in the showrooms. A new and refinanced Lagonda company was formed in 1935 with no lesser figure than W.O. Bentley as Technical Director. He had just been released from his contract with Rolls-Royce where he had not been allowed to design anything but had looked on as they designed and built a V12 engine for their Phantom III. Accordingly it is no surprise that Bentley should want to produce a V12 of his own, better and more powerful than the efforts of the mighty Rolls-Royce. The Lagonda V12 was announced at the 1936 Motor

    • Year : 1938
    For sale
    POA
  • 1938 Frazer Nash BMW 328

    For sale
    POA

    Registration No: JHX 337 Chassis No: 85256 Engine No: 85256 BMW introduced the innovative 328 in 1936. It was built on a light weight tubular chassis and fitted with a low profile stylish body with faired in headlights and solid disc wheels. The steering was rack and pinion, the brakes hydraulic, the front suspension was independent and the gearbox had synchromesh. The 328’s six-cylinder engine featured an ingenious cylinder head with hemispherical combustion chambers and inclined valves without recourse to overhead, or twin camshafts. This was the first truly modern sportscar and the Aldington Brothers whose Frazer Nash company sold BMW’s in Britain were quick to see the potential of this model for their sporting clientele. In fact the third prototype was a right hand drive model that H.J. Aldington and A.F.P. Fane drove in the 1936 French Grand Prix. The same car covered 102 miles in an hour at Brooklands in the hands of journalist racer, Sammy Davis In total the factory built 464 cars of which 45 were built to special order with right hand drive and marketed as the Frazer Nash BMW. This car was delivered to a Mr. W.R. Handley in Newcastle on 1st July 1938 and subsequent owners i

    • Year : 1938
    For sale
    POA