1964 BENTLEY S3 CONTINENTAL DROPHEAD COUPE
BY HJ MULLINER, PARK WARD.
In 1959, Rolls-Royce acquired H. J. Mulliner & Co., coachbuilders (HJM). In 1961, HJM was merged with Park Ward, which had been in the possession of Rolls-Royce since 1939, to form Mulliner, Park Ward (MPW).
When production of the S3 Continentals commenced there were more differences than the adaption of the previous HJM design by Mulliner Park Ward: The cars were built at the former Park Ward premises in Willesden, North London. The HJM facilities were abandoned.
The Bentley Continental was, of course, exclusively a coachbuilt car. By far the most striking of the Continentals were those bodied by Rolls-Royce's in-house coachbuilder Park Ward, and this design by Norwegian Vilhelm Koren, with its influential continuous front-to-rear wing line, was first seen on the S2 chassis
Quad headlamps were the S3's major styling innovation, and on the H J Mulliner, Park Ward-bodied Continental were contained in slanting nacelles, giving rise to this model's 'Chinese Eye' nickname.
Jayne Mansfield was the first owner of this magnificent S3 Continental, the duo certainly cut a dash, one of the most famous and beautiful women in the world driving one of the most exclusive and beautiful convertibles.
This is an exceptional example and presented in ready-to-go order. The writer has had the great pleasure of an extended road test in town, country and motorway conditions, throughout which it performed faultlessly.
With ample accommodation for four/five adults and having the considerable benefit of such technological advances as air-conditioning and a power assisted hood, here is the most stylish yet practical tourer.
Many an S3 owner, confidence inspired by the never-doubted engine and gearbox, trusts his Bentley for relaxed continental touring. A car as at home on the Riviera as on Park Lane and welcome at all the finest establishments and at the many special events to which the new owner will surely be invited.
A substantial file of documentation accompanies the car.
DD Classics, 97-101 North Road
Kew, TW9 4HJ, Surrey