Bentley Motors (1931) Ltd made a complete departure from their former policy by announcing in 1946 the introduction of an entirely new Bentley that was factory built throughout. It was fitted with their design of Standard all steel bodywork, finished and furnished at Crewe where Bentley production still continues to this day. The tried and tested six cylinder 4256cc engine was retained, fitted with detachable aluminium alloy cylinder head with inserted valve seats. This was fitted to a frame chassis which was riveted with cruciform centre bracing and a box section pan to support the front suspension components. Lubrication was by a Bijur centralised system, operated by a foot pump situated just to the left of the steering column on right hand drive motor cars. It was advised that this pedal should be depressed once every one hundred miles. The manual gearbox had four forward gears with synchromesh on second, third and fourth gear. Despite the relatively high price tag when compared to other luxury cars available immediately after the war, the demand for this motor car was substantial. Sales were of such a brisk nature that customers were soon advised to be patient, with waiting lists for new Bentley Mk VIs becoming ever longer, with lead times stretching to over three years by the early 1950s. Production lasted until 1952 with more than 5,000 chassis finding their way to lucky new owners making it one of Bentleyï¿½s most successful models ever. The vast majority of Bentley Mk VIs produced were fitted with the new standard steel coachwork from the factory, however in keeping with tradition special coachbuilt bodies were also available upon request. Chassis No B267DZ which we are currently offering for sale was originally ordered in 1948 by H.G.Barlow through Jack Barclay in London, with the chassis being sent to James Youngï¿½s works in Bromley in Kent. It was completed to Design No C23 and fitted with body number 2302, one of just three cars built to this design by James Young with stylish three position drophead coupe coachwork. The completed car was presented to Mr Barlow in January of 1951 and it remained in the UK until 1970. At this point the car was purchased by Edward A Adolph and shipped to the US, where Mr Adolph had residences in both Florida and Connecticut. Recently restored in black with tan upholstery, Chassis No B267DZ presents very well. Following a detailed inspection in our workshops as per our normal policy, the mechanical aspects have been checked and will be prepared and tested to ensure continued onward enjoyment for the purchaser. In our opinion this very stylish Mk VI embodies the very best elements from the immediate post war period of Bentley production.
Jul 30, 2018
Oct 31, 2017