What was originally the Healey 100 became the Austin-Healey 100 overnight when Leonard Lord of BMC saw it at the 1952 London Motor Show and liked it enough to offer to build it. The brusque, low-slung looks hid running gear plucked from the Austin parts bin, including the four-cylinder 2660cc engine from the A90 Atlantic. The USA took the 100 to its heart and it was an instant success there. Racing improved the breed, leading to the legendary 100S of 1954, with light aluminium panels and a higher output engine.
Main image: Magic Car Pics