The runaway success of the 100 convinced BMC it had a bright future, but its Austin four-cylinder engine was due to cease manufacture in 1956. No problem, the Westminster’s six-cylinder 2639cc unit took its place. Actually, this didn’t automatically make it a better car as the heavier engine sapped performance until a new cylinder head and manifolds boosted power to 117bhp. Other changes included an oval grille and 2+2 seating, although the latter was a needless alteration that was dispensed with after just two years.
Main image: Magic Car Pics