|Power||240bhp @ 5500rpm|
|Torque||240lb ft @ 4250rpm|
|Price when new||£3980|
Mayfair 020 7125 1400 | Maldon 01621 879579 Just arrived a very rare 1963 Aston Martin DB4 Series V saloon with the very desirable Special Series engine. In September 1962 Aston Martin introduced the final version of the DB4, which was designated the DB4 Series V (Five) and featured a number of changes over previous versions including recessed three piece tail lights, a taller and longer body to provide more interior space and slightly smaller wheels, which kept the overall height the same. The front of many Series V cars had the same aerodynamic design with closed-in headlights as that already used on the DB4 GT, a style that was later carried over to the DB5, but a number retained the open headlight styling of the earlier series cars. In total only 50 DB4 Series V saloons were built between 1962 and 1963 with open headlights and of these only 16 were finished in RHD with the very desirable SS or Special Series engine, which was fitted to these cars as an optional extra (as opposed to being standard on the Vantage closed headlight cars). This SS engine featured three HD8 SU carburetors and a revised cylinder head, which combined to give an increased power output of 266bhp. The car
--Goodwood Green with Tan leather interior and Beige carpeting, 4-speed David Brown gearbox, Original Left-Hand Drive specification, Matching #’s, Older Restored-Excellent throughout, cosmetically, mechanically and structurally. This DB4 Coupe has been well-known to Autosport Designs throughout the years. Although never having maintained this DB4 until recently, we have always been contacted by previous owners, we have sold parts to help with the maintenance and restoration over the years. In the most recent past, this DB4 has had much mechanical work and maintenance by a well-known Connecticut based Rolls Royce-Bentley specialist. In its most recent ownership it has been housed in a Long Island-New York collection, maintained properly and used for the Spring, Summer and Fall season in and around East Hampton, NY. This DB4 Series II is original left-hand drive from the factory and One of only 165 Series III DB4’s built. It was originally sold by the factory and delivered directly to U.S. diplomat Henry L.T. Koren, Washington, D.C. Mr. Koren was the Director of the Office of Southeast Asian Affairs at this time in the early 1960s and would continue a career with positions as Ambassa
DB4 series 2 coupe Year 1961 Engine size 3800 Doors 2 Colour Silver Interior Navy Bkue print this Ref: 00531
Description This particular DB4 Series 2 is on the market for the first time in nearly 40 years, with the previous owner, Mr D Banton, having bought the car in December of 1976 and has just undergone a complete restoration through ourselves. DB4/449/R was first registered on the 17th November 1960 where it was sold to a Mrs N Cotton of Bournemouth, then sold to a Mr S Dicks of London in 1965, whereupon it was sold to Mr Richard Butt of Grays who subsequently sold it to his brother, a Mr (Roger) Butt who kept the car until 1976. Mr D Banton used the car regularly in and around London and perhaps more fitting for a car of this style, slightly further afield with trips across Europe to the French Alps for skiing holidays. In 1983 Mr D Banton sent the car for a full bare metal respray, keeping the original colour of Dubonnet Red. Other work includes receipts in the history file dating back to 1976 with hand written invoices from Ian Moss, Aston Martin specialists. Further maintenance was carried out in the late 70’s with bills from Aston Martin and Aston specialist Hyde Vale and later in 1996 with Ian Moss once again. Also in the history file is a copy of the buff log book, handbook an
Porsche's 356 became a classic the day the first car left the production line and the ensuing years have only enhanced the legend. Continuous updates from the very earliest days of the model and gradual replacement of its early Volkswagen-based components with parts from Porsche manufacture saw to this. These detail changes came frequently but major change was only made when necessary and after due consideration of their effect to improve performance, ride, handling and the marque's enviable reputation of being able to produce sporting motorcars with competition-beating reliability. After a significant updating in 1955 with the 356A, the 356B was introduced in 1960, the firm's most significant evolution yet. Motivated in part by increasingly demanding safety regulations, the 356B had raised stronger bumpers and lifted headlights that noticeably altered the car's frontal appearance. Vent windows in the doors and hinged rear windows enhanced interior ventilation. Up-rated Elfin brakes with cooling fins also benefited from air intakes below the headlights which channels cooling air to the front drums. This Porsche was imported from Oklahoma in 2013 by the vendor who immediately starte
Innocenti was an Italian machinery works originally established by Ferdinando Innocenti in 1920. After World War II, the company was famous for many years for Lambretta scooters and from 1961 to 1976, Innocenti built, under licence, the Mini with 998cc and 1,275cc engines. At the November 1960 Turin Motor Show, the 950 Spider was presented. Styled by Ghia and produced by OSI near Milan, the style was classical of the era with rear-wheel drive and aesthetically, with small rear fins; the formula of a small car with a small engine and small price tag would meet the demand of the Italian public. From 1963, the car was equipped with a new engine with increased capacity up to 1098cc, designated 'S' which also offered small aesthetic changes and the adoption of disc brakes. This fantastic little car is believed to be one of only two in the UK and one of only 2,000 made. It is the later 'S' model with the bigger engine, twin carburetors and disc brakes. This car was imported to the UK in 2015 from Rome and has had four owners; it is now registered in the UK with an MoT test certificate valid for a year. The owner believes it underwent a major mechanical rebuild in 2010 and has had a new f
A great addition to any office in the home or commercial environment, this fibre glass front of a DB5 Aston Martin has been designed to create a writing desk of iconic status. It has working headlights and sidelights; it also has a leather top for writing, together with a port for all wires relating to telephones and computers. A smart and fun alternative to the usual office furniture that is bound to impress.
Chassis No: DB4/1119/R Engine 370/1074/SS ] The Aston Martin DB4 was produced between October 1958 and June 1963. It featured highly evocative coachwork, designed by Touring of Milan using their “Superleggera” system of alloy panels fixed to a tubular frame. The new engine was an all alloy, twin overhead camshaft, six cylinder unit of 3.7 litres. The DB4 evolved through five ‘Series’ as developments were introduced. This car is a rare and beautiful example of the ultimate specification; an original right hand drive ‘Series V’ Vantage and is correctly finished in its original colours of ‘Fiesta Red’ with fawn leather to the interior. The up-rated Vantage engine specification had been introduced as an optional extra in 1961. This car therefore benefits from three SU HD8 carburettors, 9:1 compression ratio and larger valves producing 266 bhp at 5,750 rpm. In addition the car was fitted from new with an oil cooler, which was another optional extra and a high-ratio back axle. This Aston Martin DB4 has an impressive mechanical specification and this is complemented by the styling improvements that had been introduced for the ‘Series V’ which principally were covered headlamps and the DB4
Chassis Number: DB4/818/L Engine Number: 370/791 UK Registration Number: TBA Date of first reg: 29th November 1961 Exterior colour: Aegean Blue Hood: Interior colour: Black Leather Current Odometer reading: 71300 km Mileage Warranty: Steering: Left Transmission: Manual Options: Chrome Wire Wheels Background Background: When the single pale primrose DB4 was launched at the Paris Salon in October 1958, Marcel Blondeau, the French distributor for Aston Martin approached John Wyer on the stand with tears in his eyes “This is not a car, it is a folly, but I can sell as many as you can supply.” With a top speed of 140 mph, it was one of the fastest four seaters in the world and was on a par with the best of Italian Grand Turismos. Not wholly surprising, given the decision to have this distillation of years of Feltham ideas designed by Touring of Milan using their “Superleggera” system. The body consisted entirely of aluminium mounted on a trellis of small diameter steel tubes welded together. Body panels were attached to the trellis and clinched around angle plates which were welded to the members with graphite pads. Items like windscreen, rear window frames an angle sections for the doo
Registration: TBA Chassis No: DB4GT/0158/R Engine No: 370/0145/GT Aston Martin were very aware that the benefits of their success on the race track were far greater than the costs of taking part and had a significant effect on sales and the public perception of the brand. The DB4, their new model for 1958, was a great success featuring the Tadek Marek all alloy engine and iconic coachwork by Touring, but the design team knew it was not really a high performance sports racer and were working on the ‘GT’ before the DB4 had entered production. To achieve the performance they were looking for the car needed to be lighter. This was principally achieved by shortening the wheelbase by 5 inches and making the body out of lightweight 18 gauge magnesium alloy as opposed to the weightier 16 gauge aluminium used for the DB4. Weight was shed wherever possible and accordingly the car had no rear seats, bumpers without over-riders and Borrani wheels. The weight saving was 185lbs and the car was also fitted with disc brakes all round, Perspex covers to the headlights and a large bonnet air-intake and another below the grill to service the oil cooler. The engine was uprated and notably fitted with
Registration No: FAS 302 Chassis No: DB4/272/R Aston Martin had all but withdrawn from racing by 1960; they had won Le Mans and the Constructor’s Championship in 1959 and felt that they could rest on their laurels. However, it quickly dawned on them that the benefits of their success on the track were far greater than the costs of taking part and had a significant effect on sales. Accordingly, shortly after the launch of the DB4 GT it was decided to get back into racing. They found the competition had grown even more formidable and they needed a faster, lighter and more competitive car. Initially Aston Martin approached Touring to see if they could come up with a new design, but their preferred coachbuilder already had its hands full with its own high volume work. However they introduced Aston Martin to the local firm of Zagato, a smaller company that could produce the specialist work required and in small numbers. However, at Zagato the project was given to a 23 year junior designer fresh from University, Ercole Spada. Despite his inexperience and as he recalls that he spent no more than a week on the main design and much of that polishing what he had produced in just a few days,
This Series 2 DB4 retains all of its particular- to- series body features, including the early ‘Art Deco’ rear lights, grille and bonnet scoop. It’s all a matter of taste, but these fittings do make the early DB4s purer for many collectors than the later cars. The engine is the original ‘matching numbers’ unit, but the cylinder head has been considerably upgraded some years ago to unleash a notable amount of the extra power potential that these units have in reserve. This includes special camshafts and porting, and a triple SU carb set-up. Not only is the engine straining at the leash when blipped from idle, but the performance on the open road is far more satisfying than a standard DB4. This lovely example was delivered on 26th November 1960 for the use of Mr John Bowthorpe, bearing the distinctive registration plate JB 720. Originally finished in Pale Primrose with black Connolly hide, the car has subsequently received a high quality colour change to a very attractive shade of deep red. Following two further owners in the UK and warranty work recorded until 1968 it was later purchased by the President of the Italian Section of the Aston Martin Owners Club, Massimo Meli. During his ownership in 1999 the publication Ruote Classiche used the car as a cover car in a 10page article. In 2011 it was brought back to the UK and was able to once again maintain the original ‘James Bond’ registration initials as delivered back in 1960. This new owner used the car at UK AMOC events over the years and had Aston Specialists check the car annually, only travelling a few hundred miles each year. With only 1,110 DB4s manufactured across all 5 series and prices of DB4s going skywards, we are delighted to offer this most useable Series 2. With options to drive or improve, this great driving Aston certainly represents investment with prices of restored cars now in excess of £500k.
Variant: Series II We are delighted to offer this beautiful Aston Martin DB4, immaculately finished in RSW Green with Tan full leather interior. The car was originally supplied by OKE Bros Ltd of Kingsbridge, Devon to Mrs Mary Crook in February 1961. The car then passed to Mr Charles N Hill of Sidmouth in April 1965. The third owner was Mr Colin Bond, who purchased the car in November 1966 and he registered it to his company Thompson Bros Ltd of Bridgewater in Somerset. The mileage at this time was 28,700 miles and Mr Bond managed to drive the car for a little over 6 years until poor health caused him to put the car into storage for almost 10 years. In 1981 the car was fully serviced and made ready for the road again, now showing 57,213 miles however, she only travelled a further 55 miles that year before being placed back into storage. In 1982 the car passed onto Mr Colin Bond's son and it remained in storage until February 1998, when it was then sold to its last keeper, who by chance had actually known the car and its previous owner since 1966. From 1999 until 2002 the car had been subject to a detailed restoration. The full bodywork restoration was carried out by Bodylines Specialist Panel Beaters and Spray Tec Restorations Ltd, with Motorman Engineering tackling the full detailing restoration. The engine was rebuilt to a 4.2 litre unleaded specification, complete with vantage cams. The original SU Carburettors were retained in order to maintain the original standard look. Other works which had been carried out include a full flow oil cooler and electric radiator fan, which have been hidden from view. The suspension has been uprated with new springs, a thicker anti roll bar and Koni shock absorbers to the front. A high ratio back axle with Powerlock limited slip differential has also been fitted. The front brakes have been uprated and new Borrani wire wheels fitted, complete with spinners (an original option from new). The entire restoration has kept originality coupled with practicality at the forefront of its mind. Any upgrades to the original specification have simply been to improve the comfort and drivability of the car, without altering the iconic features and stunning characteristics. In 2004, thanks to the absolutely superb restoration, this car won 1st place in the Elite Class at the Aston Martin Owners Club Concours, held at Woburn Abbey.
Aston Martin is to build 25 new DB4 GT continuation cars at its historic...
London Mayor Sadiq Khan has confirmed plans to introduce a new £10 T-Cha...