After WW II, a solid, reliable and attractive car, the TA 14 fitted well the mood of sober austerity in post war Britain, but much of the magic attaching to the powerful and sporting pre-war models had gone and life was not easy for a specialist car manufacturer. Not only had Alvis lost their car factory but many of the prewar coachbuilders had not survived either and those that had were quickly acquired by other manufacturers. In fact, the post war history of Alvis is dominated by the quest for reliable and reasonably priced coachwork.
From 1952 to 1955, Alec Issigonis (further creator of the legendary Mini) worked for Alvis and designed a new model with a V8 engine, but too expensive to produce.
In 1965 Rover took a controlling interest in Alvis and was later introduced in British Leyland Group. Subsequently the company's name was changed to Alvis plc. Alvis plc acquired a British truck manufacturer UPD in 1994, naming their new subsidiary Alvis Unipower Limited. The trucks were subsequently branded as Alvis-Unipower. In 1998, Alvis plc acquired the armoured vehicle business of GKN plc, and the main UK manufacturing operation was moved from Coventry to Telford. The site of the Al
left-hand-drive alvis ta 21 dhc green 53 white v8 1953
Oldtimerfarm Bvba, Steenweg op Deinze 51C
Aalter, B-9880, Flanders
One of Britain’s most beloved marques is back in production – 50 years a...