£89950 Originally registered as AUG 11 on the 8th December 1934, this unique Alvis Speed 20 SC Drop Head Coupe with matching numbers and original coachwork, was according to the factory record, ordered in chassis form by Bambers of Leeds, to their order it was bodied as a 3 position Drop Head Coupe by John Charles Limited of Middlesex to the design of Brainsbury Woollard, it is worth noting the overriders monogrammed BW and coach maker’s commission plate on the boot sill. Its early history is being researched, however by 1962 the second owner was Mr Sidney Richard Cain of Henley on Thames, who owned the car until 1982 when it purchased by Raymond R Sargeant also Henley on Thames. Around this time the registration was changed to FAS 40 During Ray Sargeant’s ownership the car underwent a complete chassis up restoration with new framework and panelling where appropriate. The worked was completed by Rob Green of Gloria Coachworks. Sold via Sotheby’s in 1984 to Mr Daouk of Richmond Surrey, following whom the Alvis was owned by Mr John Harris of Okehampton. During Mr Harris’s ownership the Speed Twenty underwent a cosmetic refresh which included a bare metal respray, and in recent years
This handsome sporting saloon, won a silver cup at the Olympia Coach Works Exhibition in 1933/34. The only Speed 20 body built by Mayfair to this design in 32, a similar body was, at the same time fitted to a Bentley. The first owner owned the car until 1952, the last owner bought her in 1968. Full history including continuation log book issued in 1946. The car has been off the road for some years, but is now on the button and runs superbly. P 100s as supplied by Alvis after first owner complained to Alvis that the P 80s fitted were useless at speed. Much used for competition and rallying including a Measham. A superb VSCC car.
I think it fair to say that Alvis Speed 20s must be counted amongst the best of English sporting cars made in the 1930s. Their powerful six cylinder engines were set deep in the chassis allowing low bonnet lines which gave these cars a more elegant outline than many of their more perpendicular competitors. As well as having very good six cylinder engines which were usually fed by three SU carburettors, from 1934 onwards the Speed models came with independent front suspension and very easy to use all-synchromesh gearboxes which gave them handling and driveability which was far ahead of most of their more traditionally designed contemporaries. They were all supplied in chassis form to be bodied by high quality coachbuilders such as Charlesworth, Cross and Ellis and Vanden Plas so they also had looks to match their performance and this particular 2.76 litre Speed 20 SC with its close-coupled Charlesworth four door four seat saloon body would have been regarded as a very special car to own in 1930s England. Its coachwork appears to be very sound and has clearly been professionally repainted in the recent past and the interior is delightfully original with the sort of patina you can onl