This handsome sporting saloon, won a silver cup at the Olympia Coach Works Exhibition in 1933/34. The only Speed 20 body built by Mayfair to this design in 32, a similar body was, at the same time fitted to a Bentley. The first owner owned the car until 1952, the last owner bought her in 1968. Full history including continuation log book issued in 1946. The car has been off the road for some years, but is now on the button and runs superbly. P 100s as supplied by Alvis after first owner complained to Alvis that the P 80s fitted were useless at speed. Much used for competition and rallying including a Measham. A superb VSCC car.
I think it fair to say that Alvis Speed 20s must be counted amongst the best of English sporting cars made in the 1930s. Their powerful six cylinder engines were set deep in the chassis allowing low bonnet lines which gave these cars a more elegant outline than many of their more perpendicular competitors. As well as having very good six cylinder engines which were usually fed by three SU carburettors, from 1934 onwards the Speed models came with independent front suspension and very easy to use all-synchromesh gearboxes which gave them handling and driveability which was far ahead of most of their more traditionally designed contemporaries. They were all supplied in chassis form to be bodied by high quality coachbuilders such as Charlesworth, Cross and Ellis and Vanden Plas so they also had looks to match their performance and this particular 2.76 litre Speed 20 SC with its close-coupled Charlesworth four door four seat saloon body would have been regarded as a very special car to own in 1930s England. Its coachwork appears to be very sound and has clearly been professionally repainted in the recent past and the interior is delightfully original with the sort of patina you can onl
Alvis Car and Engineering Company Ltd. was a manufacturer that originally existed in Coventry from 1919 through to 1967. In addition to cars designed for the civilian market, the company also produced racing cars, aircraft engines, armoured cars and other military vehicles, the latter continuing long after civilian car production ceased. In 1922, George Thomas Smith-Clarke left his job as assistant works manager at Daimler and joined Alvis as chief engineer and works manager. Smith-Clarke was accompanied by William Dunn who left his job as a draughtsman, also at Daimler, to become Chief Draughtsman at Alvis. This partnership lasted for nearly 28 years and was responsible for producing some of the most successful cars in the company's history. Smith-Clarke left in 1950 and Dunn assumed Smith-Clarke's position as Chief Engineer remaining in that position until 1959. As with many upmarket engineering companies of the time, Alvis did not produce their own coachwork, relying instead on coachbuilders in the Midlands area such as Carbodies, Charlesworth, Gurney Nutting, Hooper, Tickford and Vanden Plas. After leaving the factory in 1935, this Alvis found her way to East Africa where she w
POA Originally registered as AUG 11 on the 8th December 1934, this unique Alvis Speed 20 SC Drop Head Coupe with matching numbers and original coachwork, was according to the factory record, ordered in chassis form by Bambers of Leeds, to their order it was bodied as a 3 position Drop Head Coupe by John Charles Limited of Middlesex to the design of Brainsbury Woollard, it is worth noting the overriders monogrammed BW and coach maker’s commission plate on the boot sill. Its early history is being researched, however by 1962 the second owner was Mr Sidney Richard Cain of Henley on Thames, who owned the car until 1982 when it purchased by Raymond R Sargeant also Henley on Thames. Around this time the registration was changed to FAS 40 During Ray Sargeant’s ownership the car underwent a complete chassis up restoration with new framework and panelling where appropriate. The worked was completed by Rob Green of Gloria Coachworks. Sold via Sotheby’s in 1984 to Mr Daouk of Richmond Surrey, following whom the Alvis was owned by Mr John Harris of Okehampton. During Mr Harris’s ownership the Speed Twenty underwent a cosmetic refresh which included a bare metal respray, and in recent years an
Sold new to Lieut. Cmmdr. E.P.H. Pinckney serving on board HMS Berwick, who was sadly killed during WWII. Cecil Andrew then owned the car until 1948 when he emigrated to Bermuda. In the history file there is a photograph of his son with the car circa 1945. The car went to the USA in the mid 1960's when Paul Wilde was trying to find a suitable car to tempt Raymond Suerth to part with a disassembled Mercedes 500K. The plan obviously worked as Mr. Suerth kept the Alvis for the next 25 years! During this period a restoration was started but the the restoration company went out of business and he kept the car in pieces for several years before trading it with Jerry Bradley in 1990. Mr. Bradley worked steadily on the car until his untimely death and the last owner, an Alvis enthusiast and active CCCA member, acquired it from his widow in 1992, completing the restoration over the next two years. Shown regularly over the ensuing years the car remains in excellent condition throughout. Only 39 Speed 25's were bodied by Cross & Ellis in this elegant style with the very low hood line, folding screen and the convenience of 4 doors.