In 1919 the company T. G. John & Co. Ltd. was founded and produced mainly stationary engines, carburetor bodies and bumper cars. Later the engineer Geoffrey de Freville proposed to company founder T.-G. John, plans for the construction of a four-cylinder engine. This first model, was used in the 10/30 model motorcar and proved a big success for the company. This is also the first car to receive the badge with the ALVIS nameplate, the name ALVIS was forever more associated with high class motorcars. In 1921 the company was renamed "ALVIS Car and Engineering Company Ltd." and the rest is history. The Alvis Speed 20 SB model was launched at the 1933 London Motor Show with a slightly longer chassis and upgraded single transverse leaf springs. The steering was upgraded following the Alvis race cars and the four speed gearbox became more silent with synchromesh in all gears. The Alvis 4.3-litre and Alvis Speed 25 were British luxury touring cars announced in August 1936 and made until 1940 by Alvis Car and Engineering Company in Coventry. They replaced the Alvis Speed 20 2.8-litre and 3½-litre. They were widely considered one of the finest cars produced in the 1930s. The Speed Twenty’s 2½-litre, 2.8-litre or 3½-litre engines with four main bearings were replaced in the 4.3-litre and 3½-litre Speed Twenty-Five with a strengthened new designed six-cylinder in-line unit now with seven main bearings. For the 3½-litre version an output of 110 PS at 3,800 rpm was claimed (and proven) along with a top speed of almost 160 km/h (100 mph). It propelled the occupants at high speed in exceptional luxury accompanied by the attractive sound of a powerful deep and throaty exhaust. Its beauty is also confirmed as it is the only car to win the prestigious Ladies Choice VSCC Oxford Concourse prize two years in a row. The car we can offer you is one of those Speed 25’s. Beautifully restored from top to bottom and still in pristine condition. The Alvis started life in 1940 as a Charlesworth saloon and received a new heart transplant in 1956-57. This has been done by an original engine since rebuilding the original was not cost effective back in the day. In 1991, the saloon definitely needed a restoration after many years of driving around. Since a proper restoration with renewing the ash wood frame is quite labour intensive, the owner decided to convert the car to a tourer in meantime. All has been thoroughly photographed and invoices were being kept. After the pleasure of enjoying the tourer for many years, the car had a second major restoration in 2012 were everything (axles, engine, bodywork, upholstery, etc) has been done to the best standards. Since then, the car hasn’t driven much and is kept in perfect condition like we see it today. A bliss to drive, especially with a fully synchronised original gearbox. Plenty of space in the back to take your children, grandchildren or just enough luggage to drive to the south of France and back. Please drop by and you will be impressed with the ease of motoring this car gives you.
This beautiful low mileage Charlesworth bodied Alvis Speed 20 left the factory on the 20th March 1934. The Alvis was sold new by Brooklands Motor Company and first registered on the 3rd July 1934 in Liverpool, allocated the registration mark LV 9363. On the 24th March 1938 the car changed hands for the first time and the Alvis was last taxed by its second owner in March 1956. LV 9363 then spent forty-one years off the road having been found during the 1990’s by its third owner. A sympathetic body off restoration was carried out where as much originality was retained as possible. A fine balance between restoration and conservation was found and demonstrated, and the Alvis then put back on the road and MOT tested in 1997 with a mileage of 34488. The Alvis was supplied new with the ‘Charlesworth' body, said by many to be one of the most elegant. The Alvis also has the provenance of retaining its original engine and is a matching numbers car. Information in the history file also confirms the car was on parade at Buckingham Palace for the 80 th Birthday Celebrations for Her Majesty The Queen. Between 1997 and 2013 the Alvis covered in the region of 7000 miles and then sold to an Alvis c
I think it fair to say that Alvis Speed 20s must be counted amongst the best of English sporting cars made in the 1930s. Their powerful six cylinder engines were set deep in the chassis allowing low bonnet lines which gave these cars a more elegant outline than many of their more perpendicular competitors. As well as having very good six cylinder engines which were usually fed by three SU carburettors, from 1934 onwards the Speed models came with independent front suspension and very easy to use all-synchromesh gearboxes which gave them handling and driveability which was far ahead of most of their more traditionally designed contemporaries. They were all supplied in chassis form to be bodied by high quality coachbuilders such as Charlesworth, Cross and Ellis and Vanden Plas so they also had looks to match their performance and this particular 2.76 litre Speed 20 SC with its close-coupled Charlesworth four door four seat saloon body would have been regarded as a very special car to own in 1930s England. Its coachwork appears to be very sound and has clearly been professionally repainted in the recent past and the interior is delightfully original with the sort of patina you can onl
This Alvis 12/50 was built up as a special in the 1950's and 60's by Alistair Templeton. Shortened chassis. Twin SU carburettors. Light 4-seat tourer bodywork in fabric. Hood and tonneau, no side screens. Handles and performs well.
Very sound restored motorcar with lots of history. Goes well, with good turn of speed. Pre-select gearbox. Ideal for all weather.
A very nice and tidy Alvis 12/50, with typical 12/50 sporty performance. Original registration, supplied new in Scotland. Nice history. Rebuilt engine. All parts straight of the shelf. Ready for rallies, trials and the VSCC.
A super motor car with fantastic history and ready to go anywhere. Rebuilt engine. Rebuilt steering box. Re trimmed interior and hood. Wind-up windows. Very well cared for throughout its 85 years.
Lowered price from €67.500 -> €57.500 Special Features The origin of the name Alvis has been the subject of a great deal of speculation over the years. Some have suggested "aluminium and vis ("strength" in Latin), or perhaps it may have been derived from the Norse mythological weaponsmith, Alviss. De Freville, founder of Alvis, rejected however vigorously all of these theories. In 1921, he specifically stated that the name had no meaning whatsoever, but was chosen simply because it could be easily pronounced in any language. He reaffirmed this position in the early 1960s, stating that any other explanations for the source of the name were purely coincidental. The first car model using a de Freville's engine was the Alvis 10/30. It was an instant success and established the reputation for quality workmanship and superior performance for which the company was to become famous. In 1936 the company name was shortened to Alvis Ltd , and aircraft engine and armoured vehicle divisions were added to the company by the beginning of World War II. Smith-Clarke designed several models during the 1930s and 1940s, including the six-cylinder speed 20, the Speed 25, and the Alvis 4.3 Litre model.
A well sorted sporting special with potential for competition. Fast road performance. Spare engine and supercharger to go with car. Recent engine and chassis work. Built up as a special in the 1980's. A write-up of the build is available, written by Chris Coote, the owner and builder at the time.
With much history, this 12/50 started life as a fabric saloon and was restored and re-bodied in the early 1980s to its present narrow 4 seat tourer configuration, similar to Cross & Ellis. The car has the performance one would expect from the 12/50 model and has over the years, seen much use in all sorts of events and competition. Sound and mechanically good, ready to drive anywhere.